Tips for hotel maids

bushman

I am going to play Devils advocate here :

Aren't we (the hotel guest) paying the hotel to stay at their hotel and as part of that charge covers the room service aspect.....I would believe everyone is in agreement here (at this stage anyway).

What this could possibly lead to is poor service for guys who don't tip and "expected" service for guys that tip a small amount and excellent service for guys who tip large amounts....So what is the point of the hotel cost including the service amount? If this is how they want their hotel to run then they should change the pricing basis ....which of course they won't!

It is in the hotels interest to ensure all aspects of the hotel is in tip top condition irrespective of whether it is a person-to-person service or conditions of the room.... By tipping maids, room service boys or what not service will only be maintained at an expected level when there is a tip involved......

If you really feel bad about the employment conditions of these people then it maybe better to lobby the hotels you stay in and if they don't change their employment policy then simply don't stay there!

SB.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am broadly in agreement that a tip should be given to reward good service and not simply given. I also think it is possible to over tip.

There is a cultural difference here, for example I've observed that my Americans friends tend to tip more routinely than Brits do. In fact try and get out of a New York cab without giving a tip and see what happens, where as in the UK you can use a London cab, pay and get a thank you without tipping.

This is one of the things I dislike about America: everybody seems to expect a tip just for doing their job. I think the UK is somewhere in the middle (but I'm a Brit, so I would think that). Japan is much more extremely non-tipping.

I don't believe tipping maids is expected in LOS. If people want to do it, that's nice -- I think 20 baht/day is plenty and 100 baht/day is far too much -- but people shouldn't feel they have to.

I have never tipped a maid in LOS, and I have never had any problems with the service I get from maids. What difference in service do you think a tip is going to get you? They are just cleaning the room. Is the room somehow going to be cleaner if you give them a tip. I don't see why maids are any more deserving of a tip than the other low-paid staff in the hotel. Are you going to tip the gardeners?

"This is one of the things I dislike about America: everybody seems to expect a tip just for doing their job."

I'm American and I agree with you 100%. There was actually a time when tipping was illegal in America. It was considered to be very low class. The Supreme Court ruled the law to be unconstitional (I believe in the 1920's). Ever since then the tipping situation has gotten completely out of control.

In my daily routine here in Colorado I only tip if I am at a restaurant. In New York where I was raised we even tipped the parking lot attendant for getting us our car, absolutely ridiculous!

Archived