Tips for hotel maids

bushman

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"And in which country would you write your thank-you note in english... Mexico ?? "

Norway, Sweden, Finland etc.

I find it amazing that as English becomes the language of the world for business and travel, Spanish becomes the language of the USA. Clinton, Bush etc. just flatly refuse to police the southern border.

A Japanese friend of mine is visiting the UAE now and she said that many of the employees in the shops (bakeries, fast food etc.) are Asians. When the native UAEians want to buy something they have to order in English. Jay

At my regular hotel (Manhattan in BKK), I tip 50 baht per day averaged, in the had of the person who keeps up the room in cash. After doing this and keeping to the same few floors, the service staff tends to recognise me and seems to be pretty resposive. Of course, the Manhattan staff is pretty good to start with.

No need to leave a note when you smile and say "Thank you" in person. Also, when putting the tip directly into the recipient's hand, you are assured that its getting into the hand of the intended person.

RickF.

...........l, Spanish becomes the language of the USA.

must have missed something over the past years, unless for you the US is limited to Southern Florida, S. California and parts of Texas. And even there, I believe, English is still the language widely used.

I usually tip 50baht per day. I give it to them every few days but make sure the first tip is the day after I arrrive. DO NOT leave a tip in the room when you leave. One trip I left 200baht on the dresser for the maid when I checked out at 6AM. Had to go back to the room an hour later when I realized that I had forgotten something. Maid was still not on duty but the tip was gone. Probably taken by the guy who checks the minibar at the GP when you check out.

"

must have missed something over the past years, unless for you the US is limited to Southern Florida, S. California and parts of Texas. And even there, I believe, English is still the language widely used. "

Over the past few years Colorado has been flooded with illegals from south of the border. The strong housing market has provided them with a lot of well paying jobs. Spanish is absolutely everywhere. I am fluent in Spanish, but I still object to any single ethnic group completely dominating the immigrant population. Jay

Archived