Is Patpong Dangerous?

Sarisin

I always used to go to the Pong whenever I was in town just to have a change of scenery from NEP. However, although I don't mind having menu cards thrust in my face, I object when the touts try to physically drag you into a bar. This was enough for me so I don't go back to Patpong now. Sadly, I don't think these touts will ever learn their lesson. Such is life!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about your experience.

Surprised you weren't annoyed with the basket from Supergirls before. This happens to me every time I go to Supergirls for the past year. Though, when they suss out I'm with a non-resident, there's one gal who is really adamant about contributing into the basket, guess you ran into the same girl :(

About your experience.... I do have to say, if I was white, I don't think I could leave here. Well, I could, I just couldn't visit the "notorious" night spots as I would blow my top of with the touts. I don't see how you guys do it!!!

<<burp>>

Sarasin,

I am not surprised to hear about your experience at Patpong. I think the general level of agression in the touts is rising in the place. My guess is that it will continue to go up until some ugly high-profile incident occurs, after which the cops will crack down.

You handled the situation well. Agressive touts are pretty much the dregs of humanity, but there are a lot more of them than you.

Harlequin

Hi Sarisin,

You sound to have handled what could have been a VERY nasty situation very well. You're spot on that passing Thai's would almost certainly have jumped in to help the tout if things had gone any further.

One can only hope that word will get back to the bar owners about the touts poor behaviour and they will sack him but of course I doubt that.

Do you know which bar he was promoting? One to add to the avoid list.

Cheers,

SD.

A friend who I don't know for raving told me the following story wich happened in Patpong about 10 days ago.A white guy was sitting by Foodland seemingly minding his own business and a girl came to him,started to harass him than to scream than to hit him,he tried rather passively to stop her than she took a bottle and hit him with it.He started to bleed but didn't punch her back.Soon several thai guys came and kicked the hell out of him.Than even more thais guys ran to the party and kicked him even more,trying to wack him with bricks or something.

That's a second hand report but I've seen this kind of things happened,and not only in Thailand,I find girls pretty good at getting guys in hospital or jail

Wierd how how people can have such different experiences of the same place... I love Patpong. I'll take it anyday over SC or NEP.

The touts are irratating but I ignore them and oddly perhaps they ignore me - after a couple of shouts.

As for Supergirls, it has gone way downhill. It used to be one of my show-visitors-from-out-of-town-bars, but its been totally lame for over 2 years with crappy looking girls, no punters or any kind of vibe. A far, far cry from what it was made famous for by Rolling Stone Magazine. ::

hert.gif

I don't know what it is but I never get any of these "tout attacks" that a few people post about, despite spending a fair bit of time in Patpong. Is it a question of perception? (I'm quite a laid-back character so I'd probably shrug off a load of things that'd get some goats.) Is it age? Is it national and/or cultural differences? The way you react? I've seen a few older American guys getting visibly uptight in bars much more easily than I would and this can make bargirls tease them all the more. Some guys will walk down Patpong with barely suppressed hatred at the touts and I reckon some touts will often decide to have some "fun" with such prey. After all, it's got to be a pretty boring job just standing around saying the same thing all day. In fact, the more I think of it the more I'm convinced that they've got a whole points system going for this sort of game.

I speak fluent Thai and the Pong used to be my favourite place for many years. But not anymore. I will go to meet someone or to a dance contest at a place I know I can trust. But that's it. Speaking Thai to the touts just doesn't seem to work the way it used to. The thickies are more aggressive all the time.

BTW nearly 20 years ago, I saw how dangerous Patpong CAN be. That was before that damned market, when you could drive through the sois with no trouble. In fact, taxis used to use Patpong as a short cut between Silom and Surawong.

I got there one Friday night around 7.30 PM, just in time to see the ambulance driving away and a huge pool of blood in front of one of the bars on the west end. I could see women's high heeled shoes lying in the pool of blood inside the open bar door. What had happened was that some punks had got into an argument with the doormen at the bar. No idea what it was all about. Anyway the punks had soon came back on a motorcycle, and as they passed by the bar they lobbed a HAND GRENADE at the door. The genade killed one doorman instantly, plus the shrapnel tore through the wooden door and ripped up several dancers sitting at the bar minding their own business inside. It couldn't have happened more than 10 or 15 minutes before I got there. I read in the Bangkok Post the next day that one or two of the cute young dancers had died of her injuries, which was sort of heart breaking. They hadn't even been involved in the argument. Had it happened a bit later in the evening, that bar could have been full of customers too.

The buttheads who made the attack had not even disguised themselves. The next day, the police went to their dorm and arrested them. (They were vocational students.)

Getting beat up is one thing. Getting torn apart with fragmentation grenades is quite another. Keep your eyes open on Patpong and always know what is going on around you. (Not an easy thing to do when you've been drinking.)

"Getting beat up is one thing. Getting torn apart with fragmentation grenades is quite another."

I always bring grenades when i go to patpong. When a tout grabs me, I whip it out, hold it in his face, and pull the pin, and say "i hope you don't lose face now"....but then I put the pin back in after he's run away. Actually, that's not a bad idea--where can I get fake grenades (who knows if they're "legal" or not)?

Archived