Road toll in BKK

Torneyboy

bkk-saraburi is a terrific road, in particular the section back from saraburi to the outer ring road, where all the overloaded trucks driving from the many industrial areas there in the direction of bangkok have totally damaged the road.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

driven on country roads.

I only drove once and was in october on my honemoon .

Drove from floating markets to hua hin.

I took it slowly and kept a look out as i had an idea the traffic will be a problem for me.

We were going along and i asked my wife what is the speed limit on this road and she looked at me and said i don't think there is one!!

They all passeed me at the speed of light!

Scary stuff.

I was in BKK at the last weekend of 2002.

I saw 5 accidents within 10 minutes.

Interesting thing, there were cabs involved in all 5 of them.

Luckily my cab arrived safely once again. Just hope I'll keep picking the right cab.

They really drive like potatoe-heads. INSANE! :eek:

I took a mate to Thai last year.It was his first trip.The traffic kaos blew him away in bkk,but one thing he said to me as we sat and had a cool drink was""all this traffic and the thai drivers dont loose their cool and no dents in any of the cars dont they crash these things.If this was in Australia we would be out of the cars punching on."A pretty broad statement but it rang true at that time.He soon learnt that they do crash cars on the way to Kanchanaburi as we passed a horrific crash that had just happened.Bits and pieces of everything all over the place.

cheers ::

[color:"red"]

And i think he said 500 killed in last 10 or so days and also said something like 4 killed every hour.

My country had i think 100 (maybe wrong) [/color]

Torneyboy,

I think the most important difference between Thailand and a developed country where you live is the ratio of motorcycles to cars. It is much higher in Thailand. You get in an accident in a car, you have a good chance of walking away with no or minor injuries. But if you are on a motorcycle, you are probably looking at a signifigant injury or death.

Even if Thai motorcyclists were careful, there would still be a high number of fatalities vs. a developed country. And they are not careful - just look at how they are dressed when they are on a bike: no gloves, wearing flimsy sandals, often no helmet (and most of the helmets they do use are pure crap). What gets me most is lady passengers who ride side-saddle on the back of a motorcycle - dicing with death for the sake of modesty.

Harlequin

Says torneyboy:

are they tought the rules ....or arn't there any?

This the only Thai driving rule I heard of (concerning traffic lights):

When the light is GREEN, ALL may drive,

When the light becomes ORANGE, an other 20 may pass

When the light becomes RED, an other 10 may pass. :p

As I was driving into Kon Kaen yesterday Traveling down highway 2 I saw a car swerve up ahead of me and thought there was something to avoid on the road, sure was. Two girls on a unlit motorbike coming down centre of the highway the wrong way at dusk. I slowed right down and could see fairly clearly that both girls were aged around 12 years at the outside. F###g parents need shooting. On a return trip from BKK to Udon how many cops did I see on duty, ONE road block, sole purpose? To check drivers immediate financial liquidity.

Archived