Road toll in BKK

Torneyboy

A few years ago a few red lights went up on the ring road in Samui.

They became the most dangerous spots on the island.

What happened?

The Thais who had no idea what a red light was for, just opened all blinkers on their car whilst approaching the red light and just moved on as if there wasn't a red light. There wasn't one before so why should they bother with it now was their attitude.

It isn't that bad anymore, but I still look at all sides before I move my bike into gear at a green traffic light on Samui.

Cheers,

Limbo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, don't get me started when it comes to Thais and driving. After a recent 4000 km trip thru the country my opinion is firm: TWATS! That's the only way I can describe their driving style. Out the window goes any feature that may otherwise be described as typically Thai. It's very much a case of 'dua krai dua man (everyone looks after their own interests with no concerns for other). ::

Anyhow, regarding red lights. Same 'rule' applies in Bangkok. After about midnight red is no longer red and you're 'free' to drive...

A friend once said give the Thais a uniform or put them behind the wheel of a car and they become complete and utter arrogant fukwits. So true! ::

How do you get a licence here?? pay for it! You can elect to pay an extra hundred baht to skip the actual driving test! They give you the answers to scan before giving you the test! I would guess alot less than half actually have licences.

They go on and on about the road toll and how they are trying so hard to fix it, what a load of bullshit. The latest reason is the economy, because its so good more people are dead! LOL

If they actually cracked down and did something like impound all vehicles driven by unlicenced drivers/riders, then driving in Bangkok would be like New Years day every day! Wouldnt it be wonderful ;)

But no, they will continue to ignore the issues because to fix the problem would require real work and unfortunately that is in short supply here :(

Archived