Road toll in BKK

Torneyboy

I just heard on the car radio that the years toll for Thailand is or was 990 !!

And i think he said 500 killed in last 10 or so days and also said something like 4 killed every hour.

My country had i think 100 (maybe wrong)

Any one fill me in on this amazing toll?? ::

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a site that reported 17,520 road deaths in 2001 for Thailand. I would guess 2002 might exceed this number.

In 2000, The USA reported 15.3 deaths for every 100,000 persons. Thailand's 2001 death rate per 100,000 persons (assuming 69,000,000 residents) would be over 25.

If Doxyblue is lurking, these suppositions might lure him out of retirement.

Hi,

"wow why so high?"

Have you ever driven on the roads in the countryside?

If not, have a look and I'll bet you will be able to figure out the answer real quick :)

Seriously though, a huge amount of people driving cars do not have a licence. On top of that I bet just about all guys driving motorbikes do not have one, and they all seem to think they are invincible.

Sanuk!

Shotover,

on behalf of the late Mr. Doxyblue : traffic death per 100.000 does not mean too much because in the end it is deaths / mileage driven that tells you about the possibly sad reality. Meaning 100.000 guys driving day and night might cause more accidents than those 100.000 driving once a year, but are still the safer drivers. Just read an article about this, so do not exect me to know anything more than that. Except that the no-speedlimit Autobahn in Germany causes less deaths than the US heavily regulated Interstates. Which proves my theory that speedlimits are inhuman and a violation of human rights.

Bbill

>Seriously though, a huge amount of people driving cars do not have a licence. On top of that I bet just about all guys driving motorbikes do not have one, and they all seem to think they are invincible.

I drove around Xmas and NY, it's a mad house, especially on regional roads.

3 hours drive exorted me more than Sydney - Gold Coast 12 hours ride.

Watch not to be killed, watch not to kill a motorbike rider...

Maybe bgs say "Thai men no good" thinking of their driving skills?

In one word, I would call Thai driving habits - "primitivism".

I find the countryside roads much better than central roads. Much less traffic, less trucks etc. A pleasure to drive. I guess CM roads are not that great due to the mountains. They only road I dont like is the road to Khorat. More deaths there than on any highway and full of trucks and potholes. My wife wants me drive upto Saraburi on this road this weekend. Think I will be taking the train.

I drive to Chumpon town (15km) severall times a week for basic shopping (I like to eat bread - or something supposed to be bread - for breakfast) by motorbike.

The only way to reach home alive is to avoid all these madmen who have no clue on what driving means.

The most stupid daily experience is seeing an idiot on a motorbike coming towards me on the right side of the road whilst they should be driving on the LEFT side (like the UK; some must think it does not matter on what side of the road they drive)

Mostly the reasonning behind this behaviour is because they have to make a right turn within one km from where they are and since they don't know EXACTLY where that is, they just cross the road and drive wrong side way before where they need to make their turn.

I need to look behind me to see if a car or truck is overhauling me or not and avoid the idiot or stop. Let the idiot pass by is the only method for survival.

That's just one example amongst many.

Archived