Farang Guys Who Wear Buddhas

MooNoi

Says Hua Nguu:

And of course the best would be the number 9 as that is the result of 3 mulitplied with 3. That is also the reason for the nine-tiered umbrella hovering above the Buddha at Wat Phra Kaew.

Actually the 9 teired umbrella has nothing to do with Buddhism, it is a symbol of royalty, of the King. Why does he have 9 umbrellas? It is a show of his domination. In ancient times in India a new king would have to go out and subdue the kings in the 8 directions of the compass and bring back their umbrellas as a sign of their submittance. it's got diddlysquat to do with the number 3.

I have worn a Buddha Image from my local wat (Wat Sothorn Chachoengsao) for over 10 years, purely for sentimental reasons. I particularly like it because it is a commemorative one commisioned by/for the King. Apparently worth over 10,000 baht.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Apparently worth over 10,000 baht."

According to my wife, mine is worth 30K-ish.

She has one that I used to wear which I would love to get appraised. She will not let me though.

A colleague who 'len phra' had a look at it and claims that it is one of the top 5 ones. If real it is roughly 400 years old and worth 1 million Baht!

I assume it is not real, although it does look old, but for that kind of money I would want certainty.

When it comes down to it, it really does not matter though, since my wife would never let someone else rent it. It was a gift from a very close friendl who blew her brains out 2 days later! Huge sentimental value.

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

FP's profile reads....

<<30 year old guy from Australia, easy-going and likes having a great time out - and lots of Kloster Beer!>>

So why this?....Some what contradictory me thinks :doah:

<<I saw this guy out in Soi Cowboy last night who looked like a real tosser... shirt open to the waist, fat beer-gut hanging out, and two huge Buddhas around his neck. And pissed as a fart, to boot>>

I have several that have been given to me over the years, one I bought. I usually have them put in a gold case, regardles of value, just a sentimental keepsake from a friend. I usually wear the same one, a sitting Monk "Lom Pa Pan." Apparently, he is still alive, and is a very famous monk. My Thai teacher, also a Monk said I am very lucky to have this one, and that the person who gave it to me must really care, as it will protect me from Black magic and evil. She did give it to me when I told her about all the bad things happening in the airline business, and the effect on my job. Oddly, noone really seems to be able to tell me to much about this Monk. One version has him from Laos, another has him from Nakhon Phanom...

Guest lazyphil

My dad in law died 18 months ago and on our last trip last November my mum in law gave me his Buddha he used to wear. I sits on our little red and gold wooden Buddha shelf in our living room right now as I'm not one for wearing jewellry, that said i see no reason not to wear these things if it makes you feel good/happy and I doubt very much Thais find it offensive?

Hmmm...not sure I understand? I paid for it, and have it locked up home in my safe, the people I got it from have no idea who I am or where I am...so...when am I supposed to return it or renew the contract? I guess I understand the concept that you cannot "own" Bhudda, but wondering how it would relate in this situation? Can you please explain?

Archived