Farang Guys Who Wear Buddhas

MooNoi

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've studied Bhuddist meditation in India for a few years and even entered a center to practise and learn the art of Vippassanna meditation which is the method that they say Bhudda himself actually taught in his centers . In Thailand I've purchased a few Small silver encased Bhuddas to wear around my neck and I always give them away as gifts to friends whjen I come home . But my favorite Budda is the one that a particular girl in Bkk gave to me in appreciation for helping her . Her and her mother went to their local temple and came back with this beautiful tiny carved silver Bhudda which they had blessed by the temple priest . It was a wonderful gesture and I will always traesure the gift ! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I just found the Arts and Cutlure section today as a post of mine was abducted and is now breing held for ransom here, but let me add my 2 salueng's worth:

* I think most foreigners who flaunt Buddhas around look like complete dicks. Especially the big heavy chains and such, and especially if they also generally look like dicks. Go to Pattaya to see what I mean.

* Wearing too many Buddha's I would associate with mafia, military or police, tuk tuk drivers or other dudes that you better steer well clear of.

* Many foreigners wear one because their wife/girlfriend gave it to them and wants them to wear it. That's ok, but then I wouldn't flaunt it around and wear it under my shirt. (Yes please to WEAR a shirt! A singlet with "SINGHA" on it doesn't count)

* Paying a high price and deriving status from an expensive Buddha, amulet or chain I think is counter to what Buddhism is all about. (But don't let that stop you. ;-) I have a small jade one, rented/buchaa'd at Doi Suthep that set me back 200 baht or so. It so far works quite well as I'm still alive. I may wear it when travelling, and then under my clothes.

* Phra Koon is a moron. Yes I know he's popular and people think is funny but I for one don't think executing people without trial is very fun. In doing so the moron advocates the violation of one of the core precepts of Buddhism. (not taking life). That's about all I have to say about him.

* Does anyone actually read the Arts and Culture section??

Cheers,

Chanchao

>>>* Phra Koon is a moron. Yes I know he's popular and people think is funny but I for one don't think executing people without trial is very fun. In doing so the moron advocates the violation of one of the core precepts of Buddhism. (not taking life). That's about all I have to say about him.<<<

ahh...well, you must have missed the small print then. :p

[color:"red"] I suppose, just thinking about it, as Buddhism is not a religion - instead a philosophy - it should be okay to wear one. A monk in Nakhon si Thammarat once told me that you can be Buddhist without giving up your religion that you practice - i.e. you can be a "Christian-Buddhist", "Jewish Buddhist" etc. etc. I have also read this somewhere. [/color]

That is correct. I grew up going the Catholic churches and going to the temples at the same time. The Lord Buddha's teachings encourage ones to analyze things and situation and trying to learn from some other sources. So believing in some other religions teachi8ngs will not be against anything Buddhism.

[color:"red"] The thing is, Thais are brought up on Buddhism, where as we are not, so they have a big head start and are kind of "born into it". We can read as much as we can on Buddhism, and talk to people and try and learn, but where do you judge the point that we have enough "knowledge" on the topic to be considered a practicing Buddhist???

[/color]

Sorry to dissapoint you about the Thais "born to the Buddhism", the knowledge of the religion is pathetic in most Thais. However, the are many levels of the Buddhism so as long as they are good people, it is fine.

I for one, NEVER wear the amulet and NEVER have a shrine in my house. I have read a bit of the Buddhism scriptures (you will find a copy in any temple), it is called "Tri Pidok", I considered myself a practioner because I try to stick to the main 5 precepts( don't steal/gambling, don't lie, don't commit adultery, don't drinking excessive alcohol and don't kill).

My family (father side) own a bit of collectiuon of those amulets which can fetch very high price. None of my family member wears any because we believe that it is in our hearts. However, I am not against anyone wearing them. A few monks gave me some amulets, I normally return them and said that I don't want them because "I am a female, don't want to put them in wrong places", it is an excuse not to hurt people's feelings. I don't take any charms whatever. ::

Each for his own. I was told by an old monk who I respected that some people wear the amulets to remind them to be good people and that is fine with meand makes sense. For protection, there is this monk some ofyou guys probably have heard of him, (Laung Pho Koon) who told a a real story about this guy who wore his amulet.

The man had a car accident so he went to see the "Laung Pho" complaingin theat the amulet did not protect him, he almost died. The monk said "With the speed you were driving, I jumped off the car at the speed limit of 100 kilometer/hr, you were on your own after that." :D :D :D

Jasmine

Archived