ex pat pay rates?

thai3

Mr stick this week asks concerning AUA putting up rates of pay: 'Do people actually work for this sort of money? 350 baht a hour?'

I would think this is pretty good even for moaning teachers, I pay my thai teacher less than this and she comes to my hotel room, it's certainly a lot more than most thais earn teaching or,doing anything else.

Just how much do the ex pats on this board get paid? I have two jobs working 10 hours a day, one job actually pays less than 350 baht an hour and the other about 500 baht an hour, and this is in the UK. I am not moaning as I manage to get to LOS twice a year.

What is it about teachers who, armed with little more than a TEFL or second rate degree seem to think they should be paid ludicrously high rates of pay teaching in LOS? Then like Mr Stick they often moan about being charged over the odds for things, well why not if they are being paid over the odds?-peter

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People actually work for less. Think my hourly rate was calculated somewhere in the order of 2##/hour if you include prep time.

Don't think anyone is seriously saying that teachers should be paid "ludicrously high rates". Something is wrong when jobs advertised for Cambodia start at US$1,000 on up with a lower cost of living than Thailand but Thai salaraies begin at US$600. Unfortunately Thailand just doesn't pay for its English Teachers and it's evident in the ability of Thai students. Thais also won't weed out the worthless who are often much more unscrupulous.

I took my job seriously even though I got paid peanuts. It got harder and harder to do when later hires showed up smelling of alcohol and got paid more than I did. Not drunk per se, but they drank so much alcohol that it was still being exhuded from the body.

The other half of the problem is that quality teachers don't speak up enough for themselves because of the fear that they can easily be replaced.

<<burp>>

I guess it all depends on what you want from life. For some people it is not worth the hassel to slave away for 350B a hour when you consider prep and travel time. Most of the guys I know will not get out of bed for at least 800-1000B a hour. But these guys are not ESL teachers and have more specialized skills/knowledge.

I personally think 40,000 at 20 hours a week is the absolute bare minimium that ESL teachers should aim for. I hear of people working 26 contact hours a week for les that 30K and wonder where they get the drive to go to work every morning. I would think that you would be burnt out in a matter of months, especially if you are teaching kids.

Guest lazyphil

<<Most of the guys I know will not get out of bed for at least 800-1000B a hour>.

Most bgs I know wont get in your bed for less than 1000kb per hour ::

Hi,

Sure you can, if you are single and not too much of a party animal.

About 5 years ago I was on on 30-35K a month, stayed in a studio for 5.5K/month, walked to the office. Basic living expenses totalled about 12-15K a month I'd say, which left some 20K for irregular expenses and partying.

Dined out every single night (and mostly decent restaurants).

Could not do it anymore now though.

Sanuk!

thai3 said:

Mr stick this week asks concerning AUA putting up rates of pay: 'Do people actually work for this sort of money? 350 baht a hour?'

I would think this is pretty good even for moaning teachers, I pay my thai teacher less than this and she comes to my hotel room, it's certainly a lot more than most thais earn teaching or,doing anything else.

Just how much do the ex pats on this board get paid? I have two jobs working 10 hours a day, one job actually pays less than 350 baht an hour and the other about 500 baht an hour, and this is in the UK. I am not moaning as I manage to get to LOS twice a year.

What is it about teachers who, armed with little more than a TEFL or second rate degree seem to think they should be paid ludicrously high rates of pay teaching in LOS? Then like Mr Stick they often moan about being charged over the odds for things, well why not if they are being paid over the odds?-peter

I politely suggest that you reconsider your remarks :nono:. Unless you have taught, keep quiet.

Archived