ex pat pay rates?

thai3

Hi,

"My company has Thai nationals employed in the US. They get an adjusted salary and living allowance that puts them on the same level as other Americans they are working with."

Which of course his hardly the same as an expat package here, which runs at, what? 20-30 times the salary of the locals?

Sanuk!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter1964 said:

No, I am not envious! ::

Are these expat jobs still available? What I have heard, they are definitely on the decline and many people coming to LOS are on a contract basis and getting a home-country-equal salary, minus(!) 25% because living is much cheaper.

Nobody takes a pay cut to work overseas. The deal is not what it once was, but it still beats working in the US. Some people will have to be dragged back kicking and screaming, others are just punching the overseas ticket and go home after a couple of years.

These jobs are certainly not declining in my company, virtually all the work is going on overseas. People that won't move, are high risk these days.

TH

"Which of course his hardly the same as an expat package here, which runs at, what? 20-30 times the salary of the locals?"

Why would my salary be compared to a local? :banghead:

How my salary compares to the local ecomony is irrevelent and can only be compared to what I would be making in the US. I'm not Thai nor am I a wannabe immigrant to Thailand, I'm an American expat working for an American Company on an overseas assignment.

TH

I have talked to some people who are working in Bangkok (mostly Germans) and I have heard this story many times. They opted for it, because they have a Thai wife or simply because they wanted to live here anyway. Many of the bigger (German) companies implemented a rotary system, so everybody has to return home after two or maximal three years. This is to ensure, people can still work in their home country and in the company on an acceptable level and do not get too much adjusted to the foreign work speed and quality. However, it is commonly considered, that after two years someone is able to return and to re-adjust. When being away for more than seven years it is very difficult.

May be, the situation is different in the US?

I say this simply for the matter of providing a few facts and figures. Of 18 farang teachers employed at my place fo work, the average take home salary is north of 60K baht a month. This does NOT include any extras or over time or anything like that. The best jobs are seldom mentined on ajarn.com.

Stick

Guest lazyphil

Is 60k plus an exception rather than the rule?--This blows away the idea of the whinging English teachers--nothing to whine about it would seem!

"However, it is commonly considered, that after two years someone is able to return and to re-adjust. When being away for more than seven years it is very difficult.

May be, the situation is different in the US? "

I would never attempt to speak for the entire US or every US company.

At my company, this is a non-issue. All our senior management spent many years overseas before and after reaching their current levels. If anything, having worked for many years overseas is considered a good thing.

I do think that people that haven't worked overseas have a misconception about it.

TH

>>I do think that people that haven't worked overseas have a misconception about it.<<

I hope, I am not going off-topic in this good thread. If so, please feel free to delete this post or tell me and I will do it.

I think, almost everybody on this board was thinking about working in los or moving to los and many made their homework. The subject, "working abroad" is very popular and many good books and advises exist. The main results are:

- working abroad does not help your career, except it is integrated in your career-path (which only seems to be the case, when the CEO/ upper management was working abroad too. In your company it seems to be).

- Many people have problems when returning home. Usually their old co-workers have moved and there is usually no guarantee for the old place in the organization. What do you think, what will your female co-workers tell you, when they know you were living in BKK for one or two years alone?

- Do you relly think it does impress any other HR-department, when they read you were working in BKK for one or two years? They would most probably interprete this as a sabbatical, but not as part of a career-oriented strategy.

- When working for a local salary (say approx. THB 60K), would somebody really be able to take care of a hold family and children (incl. a house, car, good education etc.) and besides this be able to build up savings and wealth? Most probably, not.

Imo, there are many things to be taken into consideration, but when being young (<= 30 yo) or old (>= 50 yo) and the money is not the matter, then probably go for it. When being an the top of the career and you are able to make much money (around 40s) and this is the time to build up savings and wealth for the older days, then I would definitely think twice about it. But, this is very much MHO (!) and a career-driven-approach; everybody has his own motives and expectations for live.

Hi,

Correct, you are an expat and make much more than the locals and much more than you would in your own country.

The Thais are also expats, they make much more than they would in their own country, *but* get paid local salaries in the country the are assigned to.

So, you live on *much* more than standard living expenses, the Thais get standard.

Sanuk!

Archived