BKK's nightlife is dead - exagerated?

voodoo31

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BelgianBoy said:

1. early closing : why was it done in the UK ? to curb alcoholism..... so the state does know better, no ?

7. weak : look at London, world class or not ??? and closing hours imposed as well.....

BB

1. Wrong - 11pm closing was imposed in the UK during WW1 so that all people's energies could be focused on working in the munition factories. Once the war was over they "forgot" to change the laws back (previously no closing times). It's a bit like when William Pitt started Income Tax "as a temporary measure" to fund the British Army in the Napoleonic Wars; again once the wars were over they "forgot" to get rid of it.

7. There is now a proposal going through British Parliament to allow pubs to open 12 hours a day - the opening and closing times to be decided by the pubs themselves, which would effectively bring in 24 hour boozing.

Apart from this, why not come on down to Pattaya? Gogos close around 2:00 - 2:30, beer bars never close, and you can see more flesh than you can shake a stick at any day of the week. :applause:

I would like to state a claim to stop comparing Thailand to Europe or USA.

They are not (or ever will be) the same. You are just fooling yourself.

If you don't like the early closing times, find another bar. Same with the drug rades...find other locations.

Use your imagination, I am sure the local thai (police, goverment) places are not being 'raided'...it is all about adaptation.

you can do it...........

late.

hiya would like to clarify this ok ..english pubs are open from 11 am till 11pm ONLY and sundays until 1030pm .. the only place one will get a drink after that is in a club!! with extended license..

also a stupid law xxx is not allowed on television but if one has a saterlitte dish one can recieve it from europe!!!

Thank you one and all; you saved me the trouble of having to respond to Belgium Boy's post.

I will slightly elaborate on the corruption issue. When a government sets restrictions on consensual behavior, particularly in a place like Thailand (number 70 on the transparency international index), in an area such as closing times, it is an open invitation to more corruption. Recall that there are posters here who insist that in out of the way places there are still afterhour places. How do those places get to stay open later?

You should think about becoming the next dictator of Iraq, then you could rationalize laws based on what you need and don't need.

The moment you'll behave will be the moment I'll reply.

Do note its the habit on this board to attack posts, not posters and to have constructive discussions.

BTW, K Doug proved my point, pubs in the UK do close even earlier, and who cares anyway.

My POV is that 'even' with the present 'encumbrements' in place in BKK, sanuk is still there.

Not really my problem if you cant see that.....

Then again, some will never be happy with what they have and will always consider the grass on the other side to be greener, and will always whine, whatever options will be available.

Early closing lead to binge drinking. The UK has increased pub hours. Look at Madrid, Rome, Athens, Amsterdam, etc where you can party all night long. Many places do not even get busy until after midnight.

shyguy,

Same in Belgium, discos opening from friday night till lunch time on monday - non-stop as well.....

Does that mean you have to be there till the last minute of opening ?

A city that wants to be in tread with 'world' cities doesn't impose a closure time of 1am

Limbo,

True, never said it was......

7. There is now a proposal going through British Parliament to allow pubs to open 12 hours a day - the opening and closing times to be decided by the pubs themselves, which would effectively bring in 24 hour boozing.

Eyebee,

And pubs close in the afternoon as well, no ? whats wrong with that anyway ???

It was fun discussing with gadfly :p

BB

i'll throw in my 2 cents to say that early closings suck. last night i was out for no more than 2 hours when the waitresses started collecting money from everyone. sure, there are some after-hours places but it'd be far better if everywhere was open so i could stay where i wanted to stay.

yeah there's still nightlife in thailand, but i miss the hedonistic days of only a few years ago. a lot of the 'edge' has been lost.

I guess the government either wants to achive a taliban-style nightlife scene, i.e. have your dinner and go to bed, or a tightly controlled more discreet scene in this context the proposed zoning would also make a lot of sense. Of course it´s a sad joke that one of the biggest cities in the world closes down around midnight.

>>Same in Belgium, discos opening from friday night till lunch time on monday - non-stop as well.....

Does that mean you have to be there till the last minute of opening ?<<

Sorry but I think you missed completely the point here. Opening 24 h does not mean that you HAVE TO stay for 24h, but that you have the FREEDOM to decide when you want to go and how long you want to stay.

Individual freedom - that's what democracy is all about. But it looks that some people just don't get it. :(

Archived