BKK's nightlife is dead - exagerated?

voodoo31

ND...There is rumour you are seasoned wood and so I hesitate to disagree....but frankly, the idea that the current ruling class is able to even conceive of, let alone execute a "very carefull plan" is just risible IMHO

PS. Do you really live in Thailand?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I do - for a few years, and many Thais I have raised this concept seem to agree,

The idea is simple, why make trouble by forcing the "UGLY FARANG BARS" to close (The thai massage area is a totally different concept) better to "encourage" them to close, less loss of face, no one looses money (Except the bar owner, we're talking landowner here) and the place "Looks" better.

Pattaya - I expet the same will go that way as well, everntually, right now its thriving while the concentration is on Bangkok.

DOG

PS - Do YOU live in Bangkok?

ND.... sorry this do you live in bangkok stuff is a joke...I know you live here....several people have told me what a fine fellow you are..

Yes I live here too.

Still think You plus Thai friends overestimate coherence of policies

OK here is the challenge ( maybe for another thread)

Can you name one policy which has been carefully thought out, executed, and brought anticipated results?

>>I see a very carefull plan being played out. Simply they are making nightlife intolerable to that barowners, all the harressment is aimed at the bar and land owners.

This will continue until they decide, FARK too hard to make a living doing this, I'll make more money building a condo!

The thorn in the side is the property market is already cooling, something I don't think Thaksin forsore happening so fast.

They will never "Close" the night life as that would involve loss of face with allies etc.

Better way is to say, you own the land, you can run a bar, but hey, you know what, better business to build a condo on the site.

I think Cowboy, sadly will be the first to go, then Nana, and it will be sudden.

Patpong will linger, as bugi street in Sillypore does as "Taste of the exotic"<<

.... Now this I can agree with you 100% :D

Cheers

farangman

OK- I got 1 for and 1 against the concept.

For carefully thought out plans, gee - I could thow it the other way and say what government has ever had success in these areas, will always be subjective to the viewer.

For successful plans, I think this government is still in learning mode, their 2nd terrm, if they are smart, and I beleive they are (smart, not right - a large difference) then they could do better.

A number of the Ministries are now being cautious in plans were as before they just rushed in.

I think Software Park has been a good success story, SIPA could be, ICT ministry, if the get the right Sec Gen culd be.

NASTDA has been doing good results,

on a smaller level, having to travel a lot in the country I see the roads and service in smaller town much better than beffore.

Still - I thin naming Any governemnet world wide with a policy that was successfuk would be hard :)

DOG

I think this is being over examined. In my opinion its quite simple really. The Thai Government leaders do not like the farang owned nightlife areas AND for the most part, they operate outside of commerical tax paying. I dont know a farang bar owner that pays correct taxes or has a work permit. Therefore they can be taken out without (not literally) too much of a problem. Again in my opinion, this centres on BKK purely because its most visible. The inevitable loss of Soi Cowboy and Nana started with the zoning and will not cause any Thai's of influence to lose sleep.

The girls are not registered in BKK, but their home provinces so dont even have a vote in any elections, essentially they are nobody's as far as politicians are concerned however of course, no Thai politician is going to come out and say that - face issues etc.

Pattaya is a different scenario - it is a tourism town, BKK is not - perhaps in the long term future things may "evolve' but I dont think it will happen for at least another 3 years - possibly longer depending upon economic factors.

I agree with Nervous Dog. The land Cowboy is on is way to valuable for go-gos. It is great politics to close the Farang "nasty areas," but if they just went and shut the bars there would be an outcry since there are valid leases.

Planning, well AIS (IMHO) has some of the BEST customer service I have ever had the pleasure dealing with and they provide a good product. I think that is much more difficult then planning how to put a few bars out of business.

GS

Archived