BKK's nightlife is dead - exagerated?

voodoo31

as for

"They will never "Close" the night life as that would involve loss of face with allies etc."

Many have said the same words in other cities and each and every one of the cities I have seen have fallen to the axe.

Remember not too long ago people were saying the law in Bangkok prohibiting smoking in public places will never be enforced - some how it seems to be enforced! Where are all those people who said they would continue smoking no matter what? Maybe under the table?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B-Kahuna. Nighlife will not 'end' per se. However, it has taken alot of changes on its plate as of late :: Not positive ones either as far as I'm concerned: tight closing hours, arbitrary piss tests, and raids are the ones I'm thinking of...

If Bangkok's a big rubber band maybe its going to pop back into shape once people stop pulling on it, but otherwise I think we have to face the fact that there are still tons of birds and sex.... but its clearly not what it used to be as far as freedom.

the_numbers

There is a ray of hope with people speculating about this crackdown being driven by 'social conservatives' - namely that social conservatives are, in the main, older than the average Thai. Unlike the ageing countries of Europe, Thailand is a young country and getting younger - isn't it said that at least half of the population is under 20?

Well, the same way we tell newcomers how it was 5-10 years ago, I think one day we will look back at 2004 and think how open and wonderful it was.

Mostly through work, I know pretty well some Thais with education and money, and I think they are offended and insulted by Thailand's reputation as a fleshpot.

It's not how they see Thailand as an emergent modern nation. I think in the end they will win as others like them have won in other Asian countries.

There will always be prostitution, but people with power and influence will not feel Thailand can't be taken seriously until it is hidden away.

Tick, tick....

OH: I don't know about less abundant, but I will say it's tamer than a few years ago, but tameER does not necessarily mean tame.. I think the pinnacle may have been about 10 years ago. Still, it's more open and lively than 25 years ago, and I see no signs myself that it will get THAT much worse. I see a lot of hand-wringing on this board and oh-me-oh-my-ing, but I am not worried.

And if I'm wrong, Cambodia's right next door.

Mighty mouse in a moment of lucidty said <<They will never "Close" the night life as that would involve loss of face with allies etc."

Many have said the same words in other cities and each and every one of the cities I have seen have fallen to the axe>>

Did you read and unserstand what goatscroat said? It will get shut down, the arguement is HOW they will do it. As I and Goatscroat said, its NOT going to be "YOU CLOSE NOW" they will do it by stealth. Shit 20 - 30 years ago Korea and Taiwan where just like Bangkok, hmm - do you go there for P4P now?

Of course not - does it exist - yes it does, NO ONE can get rid of the worlds oldest proffession, however it CHANGES! gets more expensive, goes further underground, doesnt have streets like Cowboy or Nana.

DOOG

Archived