A Night at Nana

Boring_Man

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
trooper said:

Hate to read reports like this when I finally decided to visit Thailand again after a long break. I hoped things are getting better in Bangkok but no way :(

Things are dandy in Bangkok, just not at NEP! Other places are slowly returning to pre-crackdown mayhem (still not there, but well on the way).

Cheers,

SD

Sigh...

Once again I have to defend the plaza from the poison barbs of the cowboy gang. Some day if the plaza closes the oldtimers on the board (that will be you guys in this thread and me) will lament the passing of the good old days when we had 5am closing times, live sex shows, 1000 baht LTs and...Nana Plaza. We will pull our hair out and burn incense on the day Khun Sanuk has to change the name of the board to ?Washington Square? :( in order to avoid becoming a nightlife anachronism.

So what is good about the Plaza?

1. As much as I like Soi Cowboy, when I get bored there (most of the bars have crap music) I jump in a cab and go to the plaza. The Plaza is the destination when I want to turn up the sanuk. Yes you can have a blast at SC but the same goes at NP and some of the NP bars are very sanuk.

2. Prices. I wouldn?t even know the prices at the Plaza changed if it was not commented on this board. If I have 3 or 4 drinks for 90 or 100 baht at the cowboy or 110 baht at the Plaza the difference just doesn?t register in my brain. But thats just me. If you go out every night then after 365 days I guess this price difference could add up to some serious money. But your medical bills for the sclerosis would dwarf that anyway so why worry about the drink prices. The OP?er said the beers are 125 baht. I wouldn?t know about that but a JWB is 110 baht at the bars I visited. I?m drinking hard by the time i arrive so there are memory issues but I would remember if the price was 125baht for a black soda.

3. Barfines. When I am in a gogo, I focus on the girl. If this girl somehow got a grip on my imagination to the point that I want to barfine her, then its balls to the walls lets go and cannot worry about the 100baht price difference. If guys are on a budget to where this 100 baht makes a difference, then just take a freelancer occasionally and the 500 baht you saved by not paying a BF can be used to pay the difference for five barfines at the Plaza. If you look at your net outlays over time and not dwell on one time expenses you will see that the higher BF will not affect your bottom line. (OK that was all bullshit and i could delete it but fuk it)

Also, isn?t rent more expensive at the Plaza which would explain the higher Bfs and drink prices?? While the bar?s rent issues are not our problem, sometimes there is a reason for the higher prices. If I?m in Manhattan or South Beach Miami I?m not gonna complain that my drink is costing me 500 baht but only 100 baht back at my local watering hole. I ended up in Manhattan/S Beach because that is where the party is and yeah its paeng mak but thats the way it is. So WTF does this have to do with higher prices at NP? Read on...

4. NP is located on Soi 4. It is NOT located on Soi 23/Asoke. How much stuff is there to do on Asoke? Not only does NP have 20 or so bars, but the bars on or near Suk 3, 4, 5 and 7 are all less than a five minute walk as well as numerous places to eat including the farang style restaurants for the standard tourist types who don?t eat thai. A punter could spend a week right in that area before he saw all the bars and even then he will have missed some. And he wouldn?t starve like he would if he hung out on Asoke (a man cannot eat at the old dutch everyday). The Plaza is right in the middle of the shit no surprise that rent and hence BF and drink is higher.

5. Dancers? baht expectations. I pay SC and NP girls the same so fuk em no difference.

6. Quality of the dancers. Sorry but NP outdoes the cowboy not only in looks but in volume of girls. I have seen some complaints about NP girls attitudes. I think this results from isolated encounters and to say that NP girls in general are no good is not accurate. Also, in Angel Witch there are too many farang customers and the girls get jaded and this may be the source of a lot of complaints. Not bad mouthing Angel Witch I always stop in there and like the girls but they are stuck up toward a lot of the punters. Anyway, pat pong 1 has the most girls with attitudes and schemers.

Bottom line: If the Plaza closed that would piss me off, the surrounding bars would suffer and i and a lot of others would probably end up skipping BKK and drinking cold ones in beer bars in PTY with all the cigarette smugglers and fugitives. Guys thinking it would be good to close 20 gogos in the heart of Suk haven?t thought it thru.

>>Hate to read reports like this when I finally decided to visit Thailand again after a long break. I hoped things are getting better in Bangkok but no way<<

Don't know if its *better* but you can have all the fun you need so don't give in to the naysayers this is the place to be and so is NP. BTW, Suadum has stock in SC

Mailuk.

thanks for the insight.

i think we are in Town at the same time for a couple of Nights and as i am staying at the Nana then it seems you are the perfect companion for a Beer or 2 in NEP.

but i would also like to experience Cowboy and Patpong to make my own mind up.

I'm a fan of all three. Sanuk is better in BKK than in PTY :stirthepo

If your up for it we can start at SC. From there we will go to the pong but since NP is on the way we will stop in Angel Witch to catch the show. Also the Pong stays open later than the others so there is a logical progression to how and where i do my drinking its not all chaos.

Bwhahahaha, this from the guy with all the Cheap Charlie threads? :: :: WTF?

Anyway, the price is not the issue if there is a quality product. I spend a lot of time on Soi 33, Piano, Violin, and Patpong hostess bars as well (and they are generally more pricy than NEP). But gals with looks/actions of desperation, shit manners, rude mama-sans, etc. are just not my idea of sanuk. If you are on holiday and do not speak Thai nor understand proper Thai manners, then you are ignorantly in bliss and such things do not matter to you. But compare it to this: if you went into your local at home and some serving wench did the equivalent of asking "What the hell do you want asshole?" and slammed the drink on your table all for 20% more than the bar down the street I bet you would not go back either.

In it's day (mid- to late-90s), NEP was great fun and I liked it far more than Cowboy. Those days are gone now. Maybe they can get them back, but I doubt it. But I sure do not want it to go away. If it does, then all the newbies would invade Cowboy and fuck that all up too :neener: (of course, it's not all newbies fault, Crown Group boss DW and the Boss have had just as much to do with it)!

You can't find farang/non-Thai food near Cowboy? Let's see...there is the Old Dutch (but you knew that), Sam's 2000, The Fish & Chippery, Subway, Da Lalo Italian, Guisto Italian, LeDalat Vietnamese, the veggie Indian place on Suk, Penny Black, that other British Pub on 23, the Scottish Pub (but may be closed now), Jasmine Suites has two restaraunts, the overpriced seafood joint on the opposite corner, Black Swan, Bei Otto German, Chesa Swiss, the Indian place at the Rembrandt, the two Chinese seafood places on Suk & 27....need I go on?

But anyway, different strokes and all that. If you are happy in NEP, then by all means, hang there. You just won't find me there (ya I know, no great loss LOL!) unless someone has bribed me!

Cheers,

SD

>>this from the guy with all the Cheap Charlie threads?<<

Almost forgot you said this. Tryin to change the subject eh? One has to know when to be a cheap fuk and when to let it all hang out. Its a fine art that develops as one hits the middle years. Haggling over the 5 baht price of peanuts with the indian tout one minute, then the next minute payin' a 600 baht BF for a girl you just met and don't even know her name yet. Don't worry I will you teach you my expat friend I know it is not easy being an expat the constant endless supply of pussy it deadens the mind :grinyes:

Archived