Farangs Targeted by Immigration Police

MrSmit

The following was taken from todays letters section of the Bangkok Post.

Stop harassing foreigners

On Thursday night, Bangkok's popular Mystique Club was raided by the police. This time it was the turn of the Immigration Police. All foreigners were asked to produce their passports/IDs. Those who did not have their documents on them, were treated like criminals, packed into a police truck that was already waiting in front of the club and taken to the police station for further proceedings.

Regardless of which pockets the fines ended up in this time, the incident constituted another example of the growing number of cases of police harassment against foreigners.

Nobody disputes the duty of tourists and expats staying in Thailand to respect the kingdom's laws.

But the arbitrary harassment of foreigners often motivated by the desire to make quick cash contributes to an atmosphere in which more and more farangs come to the conclusion that Bangkok is not anymore the place to be.

L BERTOZZI

Thankfully no piss tests this time, but I thought they wouldn't let you in that place with out a passport?

First time I've heard of immigration police raiding a club/bar.

How many of you guys carry your passport at night in BKK?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to point out the obvious, but not carrying your passport means you are breaking the law, therefore, a criminal.

I have always carried my passport, and always will. The place? Inside a secret pocket sewed into my jeans or shorts or pants, next to my skin in a zip lock bag. It is better than a money belt. Any tailor can put in such pockets quickly. no fear of ever getting pick-pocketed either!

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Why risk being hassled??

Peace!

I have said it before and i will say it again.

I will not carry a passport with me as the danger of losing it with my Saudi visa inside is just too expensive and time consuming.

I have never been asked for a passport by police in Thailand but will put up with the inconvenience of going to the station and sorting it out if it ever happens.

I appreciate that it is the law, but I no longer ever carry my passport in Thailand - never had a problem (yet)

Lost two passports over the years during nights out (managed to buy one back!).

I like the idea about the "secret pocket", but also had one nearly ruined by the rain (although it was already pretty worn out) and had to glue my photo back in before leaving Thailand - great fun trying to find quick drying glue at BKK airport!.

IMHO apart from a possible nice little money earner, it is also probably a way of the Thai authorities demonstrating to Farangland that they are doing something on the "Global War" (On Terror) :D and showing that Farang are not exempt from this stupidity.

I have never been asked to produce my passport in Thailand, I would also say: YET...

I believe the Thai authorities are thinking, hmmm,

what do we do with the farang body hit by a bus? or one that skidded to road pulp off a motorcycle crash?? ahhh, the passport will help us notify the sad family and embassy.

the secret pocket is useful, put the valuables in a ziplock inside the secret pocket to protect it from rain and sweat. I have my secret pockets made with velcro seals, also sewn in by a tailor shop or an outdoor sewing machine person-- (the woman near the bus stop between soi 8 and soi 10, for example) easy to get in, to get at that back up stash of bar fine cash.

Peace!

I hate to point out the obvious, but not carrying your passport means you are breaking the law, therefore, a criminal.

It may be obvious to you, however to many the obvious thing to do would be to leave the passport in thier hotel safe.

Prostitution is also a against the law in Thailand so if you partake in that scene are you breaking the law and therefore, a criminal?

Good idea about he hidden pocket, unfortunatly not many people as organised as that.

That's what I carry - a laminated copy of the main page and the visa page.

I got stopped about a month ago leaving Cowboy at about 2am by two plainclothes police. They asked me where I was staying etc and when I spoke in Thai, told them I was living and working here and showed my business card, they politely thanked me and sent me on my way home. Showed them my copy of my passport that was in my wallet....they had a quick check of the wallet to see if there were any concealed drugs etc and that was it. Thank you sir...sorry to trouble you sir and nothing more.

I was a little pissed off at the time feeling victimised, but on reflection, the police can do the same in my home country so I can understand it.

This was just my own experience. Whether it would be different with other police or whether I was a tourist I don't know.

Cheers

farangman

2 thoughts.........

This was a letter to the editor. Any hard news reported?

No mention of the possible number of Foreigners there or how many "were treated like criminals,and packed into a police truck"?

Perhaps just one?

Archived