Food Safety

camerashy

New Petchburi Pete said:

My gut seems to be quite sensitive to bacteria. Maybe 4-5 times a year I'll get the squirts ... easily dispelled by a regimine of ciprofloxacin (500mg, 2/day for 5-6 days).

That seems overkill. My doc put my onto a single dose of Norfloxacin (800mg) for that kind of thing. Works a charm and also cheap.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with 'Suadum'

I never had a real problem with food in Thailand in nearyl 20 years but, i don't eat anything who lie on the sun since hours in a market or so. ::

Most problem for westerner is, that our immun system and antibodies are degenerate.

The hysteric about clean and safe food makes that we have less antibodies.

suadum said:
New Petchburi Pete said:

My gut seems to be quite sensitive to bacteria. Maybe 4-5 times a year I'll get the squirts ... easily dispelled by a regimine of ciprofloxacin (500mg, 2/day for 5-6 days).

That seems overkill. My doc put my onto a single dose of Norfloxacin (800mg) for that kind of thing. Works a charm and also cheap.

Cheers,

SD

AND, the old standby, Pepto Bismol for the minor runs. For more severe bacterial infections, which can be taken also as a prophylactic, Doxy and cipro work well when dining at the "Y" ::

I am not a doctor!

I recall reading somewhere a few years ago thatsome of the bugs / bacteria? in your stomach which help the food digest are different in Asia and that basically your body has to get rid of the old stuff and replace it with the new and that this often involves sitting on the pan shitting liquid :o

I also recall a few occassions where I was never sure which "end" to point at the toilet :o

...........and the smell........... :: :: ::

Dunno how true this is............. but the shitting liquid is familiar. In fact one of the few good things for me about returning to Franagland is dropping a "proper" log :D :D :D

Ok as someone who's just done their intermediate hygiene course last thursday/friday I'll give you the low down.

Most cases of food poisoning are caused by either Bacillius or Campobylacter (if the spelling is wrong sorry). These are generally caused through poor personal hygiene, cross-contamination of work services/utensils etc. Usual effects are projecile vommiting and diaarhoea/tummy upset.

Other bacteria are Salmonella, E-Coli, Steph. Auereus and a few others.

One of the main reasons why you dont tend to get TOO many problems in LOS - considering their hygiene standards - is that most of the dodgy bacteria (pathogens) are killed or put into stasis at 63 degree's centigrade.

The danger zone (where bacteria are most likely to multiply) is between 8-63, with 37 (body temperate) being the ideal conditions. Most meats are cooked to well above 63 hence no ill-affects. Bacteria usually multiply around 10-20 minutes once they get to +8.

Storage of foods should be kept below 8, most bacteria will turn into spores, they wont die, but will protect themselves by producing a shield, effectively making them in-ert and harmless., same happens at +63 upwards.

So the gist of this is to make sure your foods are very well cooked....eating on the street should be safe, just make sure you see your food being cooked.

Here endeth the lesson.

New Petchburi Pete said:

I think Hepatitis-A is perhaps the biggest threat; but, easy enough to obtain vaccination(s) before coming over.

My gut seems to be quite sensitive to bacteria. Maybe 4-5 times a year I'll get the squirts ... easily dispelled by a regimine of ciprofloxacin (500mg, 2/day for 5-6 days). The good thing is that generic cipro is very cheap here ... especially at a Lotus pharmacy.

As my Nurse said the other day, Malaria, Hep A injections/tablets are not guarnteed, they reduce your chances quite significantly, thats not to say you still cant get them...

I had a good conversation with my internists at BH. he told me they see a high number of foreigners especially with the rainy season with dysenteria, diarrhea, and other gastro-intestinal problems.

For those who think thailand is an outlier or some safe heaven, one might wish to seek out factual data rathter than one's personal experiences to draw conclusions.

-----------------------------------

Well, since hospitals and doctors only see people who got a problem, it still does not count as "experience" either.

I bet doctors in the US have also enough to scare us, from their client files.

Archived