@$^%@^ WiFi Access Point

Talking about a Linksys WAP54G box here. For some reason, it cannot be found by when I run the Linksys setup program. BUT...my wireless network works fine in that I can connect my laptop to my desktop, but I cannot connect to the internet (prolly because I cannot configure the access point). Device Manager says that the network card is fine.

WTF? Any ideas?

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit Coss offers an interesting approach.

Strange the Linksys setup program can't find the device. Are you able to use the browser interface to access and configure it? Also, for security WEP may be more user friendly than WPA because WPA changes the encryption key on a regular basis which adds to security but can create connection problems. If you're able to connect wirelessly to your desktop WEP or WPA shouldn't be an issue yet.

You may need to run the Windows network configuration wizard to choose the correct option for how the laptop connects to the Internet-through the desktop or a gateway.

keekwai said:

You may need to run the Windows network configuration wizard to choose the correct option for how the laptop connects to the Internet-through the desktop or a gateway.

Thanbks, but the laptop connects to WiFi access points just fine when I am on the road, so the laptop is not at fault.

The strangest thing is the inability of the Linksys software to find the access point even though it works (well, sorta, as described). I cannot see how reloading Windows will help this in the least (and I am sure my mate Coss was taking the piss since he is an Apple guy!)

Cheers,

SD

Yeah, the WAP box is a stand alone item that doesn't need drivers. No need to do anything in that respect to your PC.

If you can't get to the WAP Box via it's local IP address via your computer or laptop, than you need to look in the documentation on how to hard reset the WAP box to factory defaults. Do that, and then try addressing the default local IP address. Some folks who install the WAP boxes like to change the default address so it isn't easily sniffed out (like me :) ), but that leads to problems like this if you forget the address. It also could have gotten scrambled by crazy electricity though I find that a very remote possibility.

Then when you get to the Box's local IP address, then you can reconfigure it for your internet connection.

Easy :)

<<burp>>

suadum said:I cannot see how reloading Windows will help this in the least (and I am sure my mate Coss was taking the piss since he is an Apple guy!)

Cheers,

SD

Well partially. I was really referring to any preferences , accounts etc that the linksys software may have instigated and removing references to the linksys software from the regstry. Not that I know how to do any of this.

But on reflection, reloading windows might work :)

Actually when I set up the 3com access point at home I had a lot of trouble with the different security protocols, hours of fun in fact.

Not sure that this helps :)

Cheers

Coss

It seems that you might have gotten out of infrastructure mode and gotten stuck in 'ad-hoc' mode.

It appears that you laptop is connecting directly to your desk top in ad-hoc mode.

Infrastructure means you MUST use the WAP/wireless router.

Ad-hoc means you pick up anything, including another PC, or a WAP if it's available.

It's not easy to troubleshoot...

but I would start by making sure the driver on the pcs are in infrastructure mode. (At least do this to trouble shoot.)

Actually, this is getting a bit complicated... I need to know more about your set-up. The Linksys is a combo router/WAP, isn't it? Do you have it connected to ANOTHER router, eg a combo broadband modem/router? If so, and you used default settings, it won't work. Can't have a the router connected to a router in the default settings.

Maybe you should just give me a call and we can discuss.

BaronTT said:

It's not easy to troubleshoot...

but I would start by making sure the driver on the pcs are in infrastructure mode. (At least do this to trouble shoot.)

Actually, this is getting a bit complicated... I need to know more about your set-up. The Linksys is a combo router/WAP, isn't it? Do you have it connected to ANOTHER router, eg a combo broadband modem/router? If so, and you used default settings, it won't work. Can't have a the router connected to a router in the default settings.

Maybe you should just give me a call and we can discuss.

Thanks for the help so far all! A reply to several posts...

There is no driver that I am aware of, as Gummi said, the box is standalone by my understanding and experience with other similar installations. As far as settings (ad-hoc), it seems to be set as access point as that is the verbage in the wifi utility "type" column on my laptop (I have seen peer-to-peer in this box when travelling, so it must ID ad-hoc networks as well). This is a fresh outta da box setup. I have never set it up before.

It is simply an access point, no other devices are used. The WAS54G is connected to my confuser though the Ethernet port. The Zytel ADSL modem is USB.

I have tried resetting the WAP54G box. No joy. I have tried accessing it through the web at 192.168.1.245 but it times out. But all three lights (red-power, green-activity and yellow-link) are on and flash away merrily when the laptop is accessing. I have tried several known good Ethernet cables. No change.

No ideas. Baron, I'll try calling you Thursday afternoon when I have some time to sit down and really play with it.

Cheers,

SD

Archived