No Thai Equivalent

MooNoi

Just had a 15 minute discussion with the girls in my office and came to the conclusion that there is no Thai word for TURNSTYLE.

Nomally, they would just take the English word - eg. computer, internet etc. But out of all 8 girls, none of them knew what to call it - in English or Thai.

(If you're not sure what a turnstyle is...see below)

Turnstyle2-sm.jpg

Having seen them in Thailand at bus station toilets and other places, I asked what would I do then, if I wanted to order one. What would I ask for??

Mai roo!! Ha ha!

Any other words in English you know where there is no Thai equivalent??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my expert thai/lao language informant confirms that there is indeed no special word in thai for this contraption...

the natural term that native speakers would use to refer to it is "chong thaang dern" ("chong" meaning "channel," also used for TV channels, or counters at the post office or train station, and, by the way, the polite word for vagina "chong khawt"...)

I elicited this term from her, by the way, by using the example of the turnstiles that one uses to enter the skytrain or subway...

preahko

Jeez, you guys are quick off the bat, especially ND and Elef.

I note that Wiki says "turnstiles" are also known as "baffle gates". Well that's a new one on me and is one of those Wiki Moments perhaps, but maybe someone can translate "baffle gate" into paasaa kon (as an old aristocratic lady refers to her language in the novel, Jasmine Nights).

I haven`t got the foggiest as to what it`s called in thai and furthermore I would welcome any suggestion as to what it is called in danish, as it beats me :(

Ahem, according to answers.com: n. - korsbom, tælleapparat

Bif

Prince of Denmark

Archived