Monks On The Move

bust

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not see this coming to a happy conclusion ,

The Military leaders are not just going to walk away, They will send the troops in one of these days, now will the troops fire on the monks ?

I guess that will tell where its going , if the first bunch of troops refuse , then the "elite" troops will be sent in.....

I hope for the best...

OC

There's something much bigger going on here. Burma is strategically very important for China. The protesters need outside support to continue. Outside powers can easily turn this into a major crisis...if that's what they want.

Yep, too bad that this public protests could not wait until shortly before the Olympic Games. This would have tied the hands of China a little bit.

No, I did not mean it like that. Since China is the major supporter of the Burmese rulers it would have been much more difficult for China to side the with Burmese generals at that time.

As I understand it the current protests were not planned and coordinated in advance.

Anyway, according to this article it will turn very nasty soon:

Burma Campaign UK: Burma regime planning to infiltrate demonstrations to spark violence

Mon 24 Sep 2007

Burma Campaign UK sources in Rangoon have reported that soldiers have been ordered to shave their heads, in possible preparation for infiltrating peaceful demonstrations. They would start rioting or attacking police, providing the regime with a pretext for a brutal crackdown on protestors.

Sources indicate that soldiers from Light Battalion 77 in Rangoon have been given the order. Sources also report that the regime has ordered 3,000 monks¹ robes from a factory in Rangoon.

It is a tactic the regime has used in the past, including at the Depayin massacre in 2003, during which Aung San Suu Kyi was arrested. Regime militia dressed as monks were involved in the ambush which left up to 100 democracy activists dead. State television today reported that action would be taken against protestors.

³We know from experience that the regime is capable of opening fire on civilians,² said Mark Farmaner, acting Director of Burma Campaign UK. ³The regime came to power on the back of a massacre in 1988 that left at least 3,000 civilians dead. They have also been accused by the UN of breaking the Geneva Convention for their deliberate targeting of civilians in attacks on ethnic minorities.²

Despite the widespread expectations that the regime will use violence to suppress protest, the international community has been remarkably silent, with the French government being the only one to make a strong statement warning of consequences if the regime respond with violence. ASEAN has also expressed concern.

³The regime has been held in check by the peoples¹ respect for the monks and the fact that the world is watching, but the scale of protests means they will be looking for options that allow them to justify a crackdown,²said Mark Farmaner, ³The UN Secretary General and other world leaders must speak out and make it clear that a violent response in unacceptable. At the moment the international community seems to be willing to watch from the sidelines as the regime moves closer to a massacre. If the regime does attack protestors, this will have been one of the most widely predicted massacres in recent history, and makes a mockery any government¹s claim to be committed to human rights.

Burmanet News

Archived