Courtyard Marriott Hua Hin at Cha Am Beach

rchapstick

On my last trip the GF and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Hua Hin for two nights. The place really would not have been on my radar screen, if I did not have a couple of Marriott freebie night certificates that were about to expire. Sadly, the certs were not applicable to the larger (and nicer) Marriott Hua Hin.

While the hotel is relatively new as a Marriott, it was apparently a Novatel before, so it is not exactly new. I'd guess it was ~5 years old. It is a high-rise of about 20 stories, and more than 200 rooms. Interestingly, all of the rooms face the ocean, and have private balconies. A nice touch. It is located about 5 kms north of the Hua Hin airport.

The decor is kinda bland Marriott style. Nothing to indicate it was in Thailand ... coulda been in Peoria save for the ocean view. Still, not bad looking and very clean. Sadly, the bed was very uncomfortable (both the GF and I had sore backs after two days).

Outside it has a nice pool with lots of lounge chairs. The beach looks nice, but it is not suitable for swimming due to some sharp rocks just offshore.

Food was typical Marriott ... bland and overpriced. There was an OK seafood place on the beach about 50 meters south of the hotel that we ate at instead.

One thing that was really creepy ... the place was practically deserted. Over the course of our stay, I counted maybe 10-12 other couples/families using the hotel facilities. Most of the time, we had the pool to ourselves. Restaurants/bars were devoid of customers. At night, only a handful of rooms had lights on. It felt like something from Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

For a freebie it was a nice getaway from the city, and I enjoy visiting the Hua Hin area. If it were on my nickle, then there is no way I would stay here due to the uncomfortable beds and the soulless feel of the place.

That part of Hua Hin is very creepy - I had a freebie at the Sheraton - beautiful hotel - but middle no where - the condo's are bizarre - huge buildings - no one in them. Who'd want to go to a high rise with nothing near by - no food nothing. Creepy

If you just wanna get away with the gf in hua hin, I like Let's Sea. It's a boutique resort (take note, koow) with 20 rooms (Pier Studios) that have private decks leading right into the long pool. The 20 rooms on top (Moon Deck Suites) have spiral staircases leading to a private roof deck with loungers and a patch of grass. The restaurant is overlooking the beach and great place to have a drink. The rooms are huge and decorated with mood lighting accents throughout and the beds are as comfortable as what you'd find in a W or Westin. Bathrooms have rainfall type showers where two people can share comfortably. They also have really deep bathtubs. And lots of nice little detailed touches in the things they provide in the rooms.

It isn't close to the downtown Hua Hin area though. You can take hotel bikes for free to peddle a little ways to Khao Takieb.

Just a uniquely designed and well-run place in case you were looking for something different. The poolside rooms are cheaper and better than the moon deck rooms.

They have high rack rates but you can find the rooms from an online travel agent for under 4400 inclusive of tax, service and a very respectable breakfast.

Not much to do at the hotel except relax. No tennis courts or anything like the SOfitel. I think it is a good place to spend a long weekend, not an extended holiday but I feel that way about hua hin in general. You can take a walk or short bike and find food, massages, stuff like that.

Archived