visa on arrival luang prabang, laos

Guest baldrick

ok i've learnt i can get a visa on arrival. lets not sweat about a few dollars more!

can anyone recomend a nice family run guest house in luang prabang please...not you bb you stay in a/c 7 star resorts!!!

Try it anyway !!! http://www.villa-maly.com/

Only 10 minutes walking to the centre of 'town'.

By the way, bring cash, small bills, USD.

Dont bother with changing currency.

BB

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

could it be Laos charge based on reciprocal agreements between countries as does most?

e.g. why does certain (european/scandinavian) countries not need a visa to Vietnam while e.g. the French who merely build indochina (isn't it?) has to pay through the roof & pre-apply to enter?

well I'm not one to complain that one LOL, just as I dont care Thais can enter Russia visa free while I have to pay for it :rolleyes::cover:

while e.g. the French who merely build indochina (isn't it?) has to pay through the roof & pre-apply to enter?

Bwhahahahahahaha. French colonialists giving *anything* back to their subjects? And you wonder why they are asked for a few bucks. They should be banned from coming there!

If they were simply *humane*, the Viet-Nam war would have never happened!

Cheers,

SD

Ever been the the National Museum in Laos? There is a big painting of the French colonialists slaughtering villagers and stuffing their bodies into a well. Actually, that sort of thing happened in the conquest of Vietnam, not Laos. But the communist government was more or less installed by the Vietnamese, so the painting was probably meant to please them.

Laos was the most neglected part of French Indo-China, with only about 8,000 Froggies living there. The French brought in Vietnamese to administer Laos for them, which is why the Vietnamese presence is so strong. (The first Pathet Lao "fearless leader" was half-Vietnamese and grew up in Hanoi.)

The French didn't develop Laos, but at least they didn't much harm it either. Also, if it hadn't been for them, Laos would now be part of Isaan.

p.s. I suppose you know the US - both FDR and Truman - did not want the French going back into Indo-China after WWII. They wanted it independent. But the French insisted ... or they wouldn't cooperate in Europe. What co-operate? France surrendered and lost WWII!

:stirthepo

ah SD come on don't play that unfair on the poor french - they already suffer mucho - ah wie LOL? :)

it's the past so doesn't matter what's a few stupid wars here & there - free visa's that's the ultimate benefit & status to you, me, Vietnam & France - OK?

;)

Ok kow-jai-nid-1 555+

thanks! :beer::drunk:

Archived