Tacking a phone

radioman

Selective availability was turned off in 2000.

TH

Selective availabiltiy

GPS includes a (currently disabled) feature called Selective Availability (SA) that adds intentional, time varying errors of up to 100 meters (328 ft) to the publicly available navigation signals. This was intended to deny an enemy the use of civilian GPS receivers for precision weapon guidance.

SA errors are actually pseudorandom, generated by a cryptographic algorithm from a classified seed key available only to authorized users (the US military, its allies and a few other users, mostly government) with a special military GPS receiver. Mere possession of the receiver is insufficient; it still needs the tightly controlled daily key.

Before it was turned off on May 1, 2000, typical SA errors were 10 meters (32 ft) horizontally and 30 meters (98 ft) vertically. Because SA affects every GPS receiver in a given area almost equally, a fixed station with an accurately known position can measure the SA error values and transmit them to the local GPS receivers so they may correct their position fixes. This is called Differential GPS or DGPS. DGPS also corrects for several other important sources of GPS errors, particularly ionospheric delay, so it continues to be widely used even though SA has been turned off. The ineffectiveness of SA in the face of widely available DGPS was a common argument for turning off SA, and this was finally done by order of President Clinton in 2000

Certainly a phone with GPS should be able to tell you where it is with some degree of accuracy but not really what I was aiming for. It's the doing it remotely bit that intrigues me. Picture the scenario of a sponsored girl pretending to be up country on the farm, but in reality still in town hammering punters. Sponsoring farang back home in farangland looks on his pc and types in her phone number which plots or otherwise identifies the cell stations her phone is actually talking to. The mismatch might lead to a little less in her monthly stipend!

This is the bit I'm keen to know about. It seems this is what Latitude is about. Now, when is it coming and can I be a beta tester?

Haha, I can save all those "sponsoring farangs" lots of time, money and worry. Is she Thai? Did she ever work in a bar? Then she's getting hammered by other guys when the sponsor is not in town. Period. GPS, ha!

All the GPS would do is say where the phone is...if she had the brains, she'd foreward the calls to another phone wherever she was. Additionally, So what if she is where she is supposed to be, home in the village or BKK etc, she could still be getting pounded by another guy... And no matter what proof you confront her with, she will deny it, then blame the guy in question for not sending her enough money...thus, she has no choice...the idiot will then most likely fork over even more money...

All the GPS would do is say where the phone is...if she had the brains, she'd foreward the calls to another phone wherever she was.

As long as the tracking solution is mostly unknown there is no reason why a girl should forward her calls.

And of course it would be very helpful to know if a girl spends the evenings at SC instead around her living area, or if she is with a punter on Ko Samui and not visiting her mother as she told.

I guess that non-visible phone tracking software is available as well, but probably not in publicly offered via the internet.

I notice one of the options on my iphone 3g is show location using the built in gps. have not tested it yet, but seems to be able to show location to someone that wants the info.

I've seen the little personal radios that show ( send back to the other sets on the net) gps info also.

Garmin Rino GPS Radio has it, so the tek must be pretty common

I can think of situations when it could be helpful, likea previously trustful relationship going south, e.g.

OR the said punter has read the often pessimistic / realistic? / devils' advocate type stories and opinions on here and is talking himself into thinking the girl is misbehaving?

Archived