Time to Leave Bangkok

Mekong

After 19 years in Thailand, the past 12 being spent in the same apartment in Bangkok its time to move on. Don't worry I won't be doing anything drastic, just moving slightly North to Pathum Thani Province. Its only 45KM from Downtown and now that the roadworks on the Outer Ringroad are complete its only a 35-40 minute journey into the city.

For what I have sold my Condo in CBD for I have purchased a 4 bed house on 1/2 rai of land, recouped my initial investment made back in 1998 and walked away with an additional $100K in the bank, not a bad bit of stragetic financial planning on my behalf (if I may say so) and a sure argument for buying as opposed to renting for long term expats.

Purchased the House from wifes Auntie and her Canadian Uncle, they tried retiring in Thailand but missed the Grandkids too much and moved back to Canada. They owned it from new four years ago and built it to western standards so no additional input required from myself. When they first built the place it was in the sticks but now the infrastructure is improving hand over fist, Internet is now available at 8Mbps, Tesco Lotus Express < 200 Meter from front door across road from entrance to Moo Baan, Full Size Tesco and Carrefour within 4 KM of the place etc, fux there is even a McDonalds Drive Thru 2 KM away.

Maybe I am getting mellow in my old age, but now a house in the Burbs with a Garden and a Couple Of German Shephard Dogs sounds more appealing than living in the downtown concrete jungle, on top of that I wont have to ride the Ducati downtown and basicaly live on the main highway to Nakhon Nayok / Khao Yai National Park, IMHO some of the best biking roads in Thailand.

Will I miss living Downtown? Maybe but I am sure the advantages of living in the Burbs will far outweigh the negatives and at the end of the day a night out is only a 35 minute drive and an 800 THB night in a hotel away, its not as if I go out everyday even though I live here.

Another step on the journey of life.

Seems to be a movement that way. Know 3 other guys that have done pretty much the same thing in past 6 months. They do still manage at least one night at the “localâ€Â.

Me, I tried the burbs once but didn’t last but a few months. I would move to a beach before I would try the burbs again.

Good luck. No chance of having to commute to Sriracha?

TH

If I was happen to find myself working on Eastern Seaboard again I would do same as last time and stay over there midweek and home weekends/

As I mentioned previously Eastern Outer Rinroad is now complete and that puts me on BKK-Chonburi Motorway close to Swampypoon within 20 minutes, pretty much the same as driving from where I am now. Also about same distance from the Airport, a 30 minute drive, I have flown out of Thailand more frequently in the past 18 months than I have driven to Sri Racha.

Hi,

We considered it as well. Found a nice place on Rangsit Klong 4, but settled on a townhouse near to the new airport link.

Unfortunately finances do not allow such a large purchase at the moment :(

Fully agree on the buying part. Not too worried about putting the house in my wife's name either. The way I see it I'd be paying rent to her rather than a landlord. Benefit of 'paying' to my wife would of course be that if things do not fuck up (as one should assume :) ) after a time the rent disappears.

Sanuk!

KS

Rangsit Khlong 4 is where we are (we are here now moving stuff in bit by bit) midway between Rangit rd and Lum Luk Ka rd. Close to Lotus Express and the Golf Driving range,

location wise. Apart from actual proximity to downtown district there is not much differance in travelling times to locations than the place I am selling, as mentioned to TH same acessability to Eastern Seaboard and Airports and also just as easy to get to the offices of main Oil & Gas companies and cotractors who are all located North of the city.

The only issue would have been my wives Pwork,but her boss has agreed that she can operate remote, she needs Hi-Speed Internet as much as I do, and pop into the office for a couple of hours 2-3 times a week. Perfect for me grab a ride downtown have a few hours out and about before meeting her for dinner and a ride home,

As for rent v buy it's a no brained, best of luck to you and your family in the new place,

Hi,

Right. My wife's work was also biggest consideration for us, and it would have been quite hard for her to get to her place of work from Rangsit.

"best of luck to you and your family in the new place"

Thanks, but we haven't actually bought anything yet :)

As I said, can't afford it yet due to income being to irregular.

Sanuk!

Archived