On Behalf Of the Rural Farang.

Julian2

Many of these Thais felt robbed when the government they had elected was over turned. The issue was clouded because most of the media was openly antagonistic towards the out going government. This only contributed to the anger of its supporters.

Much has been said by extremely angry commentators about how the political process was not only justified but completely legal.

This is not understood here or in the North East, it will never be understood.

J2,

I am not intending to distort your post by para-phrasing but these couple of lines sum up the problem.

Rural Thais worship Thaksin because of populist policies he put into place. The 30 Baht health care, education for all etc, in principle were excellent policies to implement in order to lessen the gap between the "Haves and have Nots" The problem with these policies was that TRT as a government did not carry out a budget review on how to finance these polices and make the required ammendments, but instead just redistrubuted current income like some modern day Robin Hood. TRT did not thnk it through.

The One Million Baht interest free loans was past of his corruption case and susequent asset seizure. It was proven that he was using the Rural Poor as a smokescreen is order to divert government funds into certain business of which he had an intrest in.

But as you said, due process is not fully understood in the Rural areas, all that they see is an empty rice bowl where as under Thaksin is was positively overflowing. Ignorance and not understanding the political process is not the basis for claiming that the system is undemocratic , to hold a city hostage or to go on an orgy of Arson causing billions of Baht of damage and endangering lifes of innocent people.

Certain elements in Thai Politics have been lambasted for saying the oft misquoted "Rural Folks are too Stupid to Vote", where as in fact what was meant was that the rural poor do not fully understand the due process of democracy and need to be educated, many votes in the rural areas are cast based on which candidate offers the 500 THB / 25 KG Scak of Rice / Shiney new set of pans in the run up to the election without actually knowing what policies said candidate supports.

Its interesting that you, as a supporter of Rural Thailand and its people, now appear to share exactly the same opinion that there is a lack of understanding of the political process amongst the rural people.

Believe it or not I also support the Rural Thais and understand their plight but I do not advocate the tactics being employed by UDD highlight their plight or to fight for so called equality.

In order to achieve stability in Thailand requires patience and compromise from both sides, remember compared to most western countries Thailand is still a fledling democracy. Whether Abhisit is the right man for the job is another debate entirely but,IMHO, he is heading in the the right direction by trying to eradicate corruption and election fraud, implementing policies such as "Farmer Debt Relief" which can be sustained over a long period of time because the plan is an intergral part of the budget.

It appears that we both share goals with respect to what we want for Rural Thailand but we cannot agree upon which is the best method for achieving these goals.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blah... blahh. blahhh...

Please note in a post Cent made in another thread the fact that there has been no red movement in nearby Buriram. I again ask you to try to understand this thing in the context of Thai politics and not your western liberal paradigm.

When you find the answer and accept why there is no red movement in Buriram, a full blown dirt poor Issan province, you will be on the way to putting aside the blinkers that have blinded you to the reality of the situation.

TH

blah... blahh. blahhh...

Please note in a post Cent made in another thread the fact that there has been no red movement in nearby Buriram. I again ask you to try to understand this thing in the context of Thai politics and not your western liberal paradigm.

When you find the answer and accept why there is no red movement in Buriram' date=' a full blown dirt poor Issan province, you will be on the way to putting aside the blinkers that have blinded you to the reality of the situation.

TH

[/quote']

Read the post, I'm not saying the people are right, I'm providing a motive.

Let's lay off a bit on Julian please - I actually would like more of our posters who had different viewpoints to come back and debate / do an after action wrap up.

I think no one disagrees that the vast majority of the rural poor (The Red's) have some valid grievances - but I believe that the vehicle that they chose to follow was completely wrong.

But if their arguments are only that the Yellows started it - then it is pointless (and not productive) to discuss further.

One point I do make for their side - the appointment of Kasit as FM is a huge mistake by this government. I am no fan of the PAD, and my business was severely hit by the airport closure - but nonwithstanding his qualifications - he nor anyone associated with the PAD should be in this cabinet.

Time for him to resign - immediately - and on his own.

Let's lay off a bit on Julian please - I actually would like more of our posters who had different viewpoints to come back and debate / do an after action wrap up.

PM

I don't think that my post in this thread could be defined as "Getting on J2's case" far from it, I was trying to open up reasonable debate.

I am just a litlte disappointed by lack of response.

PM

I don't think that my post in this thread could be defined as "Getting on J2's case" far from it' date=' I was trying to open up reasonable debate.

I am just a litlte disappointed by lack of response.[/quote']

I accepted your post in the spirit it was offered Mekong, I never responded at the time because a lot of the OP was my personal interpretation of events, rather than factual data that I had to be prepared to back up.

I've constantly said I can only go on what I see and hear personally and form my opinions accordingly.

If some here find them offensive that can't be helped. Forums are about saying what you think and that's what I've done.

Archived