Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the norms, most common and hardly noticable : eating with spoon and fork.

This happened at home when my family came to Japan. Had it been in public, other kids or even people would giggle at how Thais eat cakes:

360_spoon.jpg

i like the way of eating with a fork and spoon,i've gotten used to it over the years.

i'm quite adept of cutting the food without a knife but not ideal for a lot of western dishes.

try and teach many westerners with this routine and they are horrified..........no knife :angry::yikes::nono::down::(:hmmm:

and i'm good at eating thai food with nothing but my fingers.

but i'm hopeless with chopsticks..... :doah:

It's a generational thing. The seniors beat the younger ones over the head with bung starters. It actually originated in pubs in Auustralia, but the Thais have adapted it. ;)

you sure?.

thailand has been a nation of sorts of centuries and australia for a little period of time.

i image many cultures during the years never had utensils and slowly adopted the use of utensils over many years/cultures.

but are you saying that the thais had used knives until the australians taught them to eat in another manner?

you sure?.

thailand has been a nation of sorts of centuries and australia for a little period of time.

i image many cultures during the years never had utensils and slowly adopted the use of utensils over many years/cultures.

but are you saying that the thais had used knives until the australians taught them to eat in another manner?

King Rama IV introduced fork and spoon in 19th century. Before that, Thais ate everything with right hand, like today with khao niao.

Birds in the trees know why you can see tits in the bars of Soi Cowboy and you can't in Nana. Or other way round.

Everybody would say the 2 areas belong to different police districts and while one is "greased where it matters" the other one is not.

Hard proof where that starts:

Soi Asoke, going from Rama IV towards Sukhumvit intersection, this sign makes it clear:

360_lumpini01.jpg

360_lumpini02.jpg

King Rama IV introduced fork and spoon in 19th century. Before that, Thais ate everything with right hand, like today with khao niao.

That is the usual tale, but I rather doubt it applied in the palace. The Farangs arrived here in the late 16th century (Portugees), and a lot were here in the 17th, especially in Ayutthaya. I am sure the royals learned at least about spoons from them. Also, the Chinese use spoons, and urban Thais would surely have been exposed to them. But eating by hand must have been the rule upcountry for long after that. (Ever been to India and seen people digging into up to the elbow in their curries?) The Protugate also introduced all the peppers Thais love so much. Before that Thai food was made spicy only by Java pepper corns. The beloved Thai peppers actually come from South America. So does the guava, the "dton farang".

Soi Asoke, going from Rama IV towards Sukhumvit intersection, this sign makes it clear:

There is no such thing as Soi Asoke, it is Thanon Asoke Montri.

Asoke Montri does not extend to Rama IV, South of Sukhumvit it reverts back to Thanon Ratchadaphisek

Archived