Dusit Zoo, Bangkok

The_Munchmaster

Went to Dusit Zoo the other week.

A couple of folk warned me that it wasn’t very good, however the website promised much so I went anyway.

As it turned out it they were right, more of a kids playground with some animals than a proper zoo. Many of the species on the website didn’t appear to exist and many (birds and monkeys) were behind such small mesh that you could barely see them, never mind photograph them! Of the big cats only the White Tigers had an open enclosure where you could see them properly (rather than behind dirty glass) but they like the other cats weren’t doing much moving around that afternoon.

Anyway here’s a few pics from the day.

White Tiger

IMG_5351.jpg?t=1350908502

Big Ball Chimp

IMG_5532.jpg?t=1350908296

Malayan Sun Bear

IMG_5248.jpg?t=1350908583

Meercat

IMG_5145.jpg?t=1350908692

Hippopotamus

IMG_5427.jpg?t=1350908467

Some Kinda Deer

IMG_5567.jpg?t=1350908195

Elephants

IMG_5201.jpg?t=1350908657

Water Monitor

IMG_5486.jpg?t=1350908402

IMG_5105.jpg?t=1350908876

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks for the pics. Very nice.

I agree that the zoo is pretty crap. Many of the animals are kept in pretty dismal conditions (or at least were when I was there quite a few years back).

Safari World is okay-ish, but certainly not great. Not sure if it is worth the trip out there to be honest.

Sanuk!

The Bird and animal Show at Dusit used to be pretty good, kids liked that.

Beside the Zoo is the Dusit Palace, WELL worth visiting, doesn't get a lot of tourists but a great spot, I prefer it to the "Royal" tourist spots in town.

Kids have seen Singapore and night Safari there and nothing is very impressive after that.

The Million Year Stone Park and Zoo outside Pattaya is great fun, you can play "fish" with crocodiles.

Nice Elephants, Giraffes, etc there too, get photographed with a Tiger - though that can be a little scary, last time I did that the thing growled the whole time and the trainer/water boy kept hitting it on the head with a stick to shut it up.

Archived