Reputeable Bkk jeweler??

dddave

Yes. Uthai's Gems, on Soi Ruam Rudee behind the US Embassy. They've been in business for over 30 years, catering largely to embassy staff. Everything they sell has a money back guarantee. They seem to be the one that people in the know go to, and I've heard only good things about them over the years.

Hi,

"Yes. Uthai's Gems, on Soi Ruam Rudee behind the US Embassy."

Sorry, but they too have tried to rip off people. One of my friends (he's on the board and may respond himself if he sees this) was a regular customer there, but did at one point get severely ripped off here.

Sanuk!

OK, here we go at KS's personal request:

Over the years, the combination of my spending and those who I recommended to Uthai's must have approached $20,000 US. Quite a bit, I think. One lady I took there bought over $5,000 in loose gems.

So, you would think I would be immune to a bullshit deal on jewelry, wouldn't you?

Nope.

I saw a sapphire ring I liked and inquired as to the price. I was clearly told (in English) 24,000 baht. I wrote down the price in my Palm. I told Paul (one of the brothers who own Uthai's) to hold the ring for me and I would buy it next time I came in.

I showed up in a couple of weeks and was told the price was 42,000 baht. I told Paul he quoted 24,000 baht before and he gave me a big story of what a great gem it was, blah, blah, blah.

Like a dolt, I paid the 42,000 baht for the ring.

I subsequently took the ring to two jewelers and it was appraised at about 20,000 baht by both.

Instead of returning to Uthai's to confront him with this garbage after all the business I brought him, I just stopped going to Uthai. And, I will NOT recommend the place to anyone either.

To make a few bucks, he has lost many more in future business. Unfortunately, the story of many unscrupulous Thai business people.

Now, I recommend Venus, which is also close to the US Embassy, but further down Wireless Rd. towards Rama IV and across from Lumphini Park.

Yes, this is just one guy's experience, but I think it should be told.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine has just been posted to Bangkok with the job of managing the diamond, saphire and ruby sorting sector of a new US-led company here. Good timing really, as I was looking to invest in a few stones and the guy is as honest as they come.

I firstly need to know which stones would fetch the highest profit margin abroad, and how to identify them before I go plunging in throwing baht around - but he assures me he will sort out some cost prices for me.

Before that, I was thinking about looking into buying in Trat province or the Koh Chang market which may be cheaper than any Bangkok shop IF a) you know what you're after, B) you know the values of what you're after, and c) if you go with a Thai who knows the trade.

Unfortunately I fail to comply with all 3 at the moment :-(

I buy quite a bit of jewelry and I only buy from 3 places.

Uthai's. (Never been ripped off, but haven't bought more than a several hundred $ worth. A lot of expats I know go here and have been pleased.)

Venus. (Never been ripped off, but haven't bought more than a several hundred $ worth. A lot of expats I know go there and have had good experiences.)

Nina's, in the basement of Narayandphand, across from the WTC. 2252-4684. They don't have a lot of stock, but I usually ask them to find me a particluar stone, they then bring in several to my specs (may take as long as a couple of months), I choose, and then we make the jewelry. I usually drop $5,000-$10,000 at a time, and they give me great prices. I've taken the pieces to an International wholesaler with companies is several countries (eg US and Sri Lanka), and he said that I basically paid the international wholesale prices. (He mentioned a ???? sheet which has the current international wholesale prices which I could use as a guide. Don't remember what the sheet was called, though.)

If you want more common items, they can have the jelwelry made within a day or two.

I've brought a lot of people there and everyone has been very pleased with what they bought. But... I THINK they've gotten good prices because of their connection with me. Nina's might charge considerably more for other customers, especially if they are tourists.

But be warned, they don't have a lot of stock.

By far, most of the jewelry I buy is from Nina's. I usually start the deal with Nina's brother Paul, but Nina has a great sense of jewelry design, so I conclude the deal with her.

I also find that telling whichever jeweler you use that you live in Bangkok will get you a better price.

A friend of mine is getting married, and asked me to investigate buying a diamond for him while in Bangkok, for the ring.

Of course I want to help him, but...

1. I always thought of Thailand as more a place for Sapphires, rubies etc. rather than diamonds.

2. I really don't want to run the risk of smuggling it back through customs. I'm prepared to help him, but not to risk getting caught smuggling. If I were to declare it, wouldn't the duty outweigh any savings?

Advice anyone?

Thanks

ranma

Archived