LOS a 'source' country?

Auricman

When I have returned from LOS I have been searched thoroughly for drugs. On my first trip back from LOS they kept me almost an hour and searched through my wallet, shoes and every pocket of my luggage. After they found nothing of interest, I asked them why I was suspected of carrying, and they just answered, "You came from a 'source' country." Have any of you been subjected to such searches returning from LOS?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been searched, but the last 2 times I have returned to the states, when the customs agent learned

I was in Thailand I was questioned for 10-15 minutes about why I was there (business), who I worked for, what

our operations in Thailand consisted of, what I was doing, who bought my ticket, who paid for it, and on and on.

In both instances (spring of 2001 and 2002), I had traveled to other countries (2001 Vietnam and Singapore, and

2002 Ireland) which I listed first on the customs form. Both times they looked quick and almost dismissed me,

then read Thailand and kept me there questioning me. The first time (in LA) I didn't think much about it, but the

second time (in Boston) I started wondering. ::

Only once, and nothing that major. In California. Just a few questions, one of which was whether I had ever traveled to Laos or Burma. At the time I truthfully answered No, but I've been to Laos since then, so we'll see what happens next time. I was also asked why I chose to live outside the U.S.; if I'd been thinking straight, I would have said, "Because I'm an American and so will live wherever I please." I can never think of those snappy comebacks until later, though; instead, I just gave the usual spiel about my wife's professional career in Thailand, blah blah blah. Mind you, it will be a long time before I do set foot in the U.S. again. I haven't even been outside of Thailand since the year before last and have not been to the U.S. for several years now; they'll probably hold that against me. We plan a short trip there next year or the year after, so we'll see.

Oh, and in Japan, I did have my luggage looked through rather thoroughly, including my carry-on. They didn't dump everything out, just rummaged though, but everyone else was being waved through.

Auricman,I have had the same happen to me many times.It was really starting to get to me.But the last few years I have had no problems at all.Just walk straight through customs on my return.A customs officer who I know and asked about this told me that I fitted all the criteria they were looking for.ie.returning from a country that is a known trafficking outlet.Single male travelling alone for what they call an extended stay.In those days I was staying for 2 months at a time.Etc.But thats what customs are there for and after recent world events I dont mind the extra security.

cheers from OZ

"Have any of you been subjected to such searches returning from LOS?"

I have not been searched, apart from my luggage, but I have been questioned extensively, usually by an overweight, disgruntled female customs agent.

Yes, I do think it's because Thailand is a "source country", a source of "sexual perversion", in some peoples view. ::

"Have any of you been subjected to such searches returning from LOS?"

November 2000 returning to Detroit after visiting Thailand and Cambodia for the 1st time. Customs persistently asked me where I went, what I did, and why I went, and thoroughly searched my luggage. They were most interested in Cambodia.

why I was suspected of carrying, and they just answered, "You came from a 'source' country."

I have heard the same feeble excuse before, but that doesn't explain why you were selected unlike the other 95% of people on the plane. They have a dozen things they profile each person on and I pretty consistently get directed to the bag search line. Sometimes questions asked prior, sometimes not. It isn't a big inconvenience though as it goes pretty quick and is annoying more than anything.

Don't know why though in your case they went so much deeper.

Archived