TGS tell me the biggest Cheap Charlie?s are?.

walletss

TG politics are an interesting study. From time to time you will get the girls complaining about customers who are loathe to part with their cash when it comes to tipping, lady drinks and barfines. This type of discourse typically flares up when a punter has left the bar after spending an amount of time with a girl without offering her a drink or leaving a tip.

What I find interesting is which nationalities they complain about most.

Let me start you off.

Seems like Japanese and Korean are least likely to fall in to that category. Americans are used to tipping because it?s part of their culture, so where does that leave Australians, British and Europeans on the list? Is there any correlation between generosity and nationalities?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Americans have usually too much cash to spend when they come on holiday cause in general I believe the salaries are much higher counted in bahts in USA than in Europe. Also Americans are used to tip when they go out when in most countries in Europe the tipping culture doesn't exist that much. Forexample in my home country the only persons people use to tip are the bouncers at the nightclub door just for the reason they will remember and perhaps let in next time without qeuiuing (sp?) or when drunk :p. In restaurants no, in barber shops no, in hotels no. Prices are what is written in the menu and service charge is always included in the prices.

I wish it were the same here in America - no tipping.

A service charge seems preferable to tipping- not this constant trying to figure what is appropriate in this particular case.

Naturally, being used to tipping but being on Holiday, I don't want the hassle of trying to analyze the appropriate tip and will find the solution in over-tipping and not worrying about it. Of course over tipping leads to higher expectations and makes things worse.

Hi Wallets,

my wife who works in a hotel restaurant complaints most about the Italians. They all sit together at a big table, all want seperate bills, all want discount and nobody tips.

I heard this complaint from many Thais about the Italians.

The only bigger cheapskates must the Israelis.

This coming from a Dutchman is quite a statement. Don't forget that we invented copperwire whilst fighting over a cent.

Limbo

[color:"red"]Is there any correlation between generosity and nationalities?

[/color]

One could consider this an issue of generiousity. I am not so sure. If a tip is not required, then I think it should only be given if service above and beyond the call of duty is provided. If a tip is given even if service was adequate or poor, I consider this fiscally imprudent behaviour. Perhaps some nationalities are just more careful with their money then others.

Harlequin

Interesting that a lot of folks calim that the service charge is already added and no tip is necessary. Also intereting that salaries in different countries are also considered a factor.

I often go to diner with Thai business associates both as a business meeting and also socially. When the local businessmen pay the bill, they will always leave a tip---maybe not a big tip but at least a small tip.

I am not talking about the big brass in the company but mid-level executives. When I ask them to advise me regarding the tip, its alway "up to you" but a small tip is always appreciated.I am sure that their salaries are not that big.

Bush

Archived