TGS tell me the biggest Cheap Charlie?s are?.

walletss

so $8.00 min wage + 12.00 tip per hour tax free = 24. an hour,

most tradesmen would welcome this.

Usa tipped people by legistration can get as little as $3.25 an hour.

You are FOS of never been in this business. :cussing::neener:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong here but tips are not expected at all in Jakarta. Their currently doesn't really allow for tipping. I get stuffed up with the rupiah because I get 3000rupiah change and thinks its a lot of money but its only 30 cents.

Never been stateside but the Philippines is worst for tips than Thailand, although gogo bars price their drinks for a 5baht tip if you stay for only one beer.

"...Philippines is worst for tips than Thailand..."

I had one suitcase the last time I was in Manila, and son of a gun if 5 guys didn't want, practicly demand a tip! "...come on boss, tip for me...you got money..." Annoyed the hell out of me, everywhere I went, and no tip seemed big enough either. Nepal was another place where a few guys would really try that crap! gets annoying afterawhile...

As for the wages of people in the service industy being low as they receive tips, this is true in most places. However San Francisco and Los Angeles and New York and other cities have "living wage laws" that set the limit a little higher. In these cities, the help often expect a 20% gratuity for merely doing there job, usually poorly. I don't think it is fair to have a customer pay almost all of the salary directly. The owner of the place thus gets his help for next to nothing out of his pocket. Who started this crap anyway? I seldom go out in the states, but it is quite a shock when you think about it. Dinner for 2 in SFO, easily $60usd! Now figure you tip the mandatory (no longer custimary) 15-20% you are paying a guy $9-$12usd for merely bringing your food to the table! Imagine this guy works 4 tables in an hour, this is $36-$48usd an hour relatively tax free!!! More than the cook gets! More than I get, and I'm a skilled tradesman with 23 years experience! Tipping here has gotten out of hand here, and has to stop, or be cut back! O.k. I feel better now! :)

[color:"green"] I had one suitcase the last time I was in Manila, and son of a gun if 5 guys didn't want, practicly demand a tip! "...come on boss, tip for me...you got money..." [/color]

Sounds like NYC. :: Anyone who looks at your baggage wants a tip. You tip 15% and you get cheap charlie looks. They expect 20% for throwing the plates at you. I especially hate the tip jars.

A friends daughter is in college and is a waitress in a small restaurant (typical dinner for two is $80 with wine and drinks) that we go to. On her worst night she will bring home $100 in tips and on a good weekend night $200. Not bad for a part time 19 year old!

..."Now figure you tip the mandatory (no longer custimary) 15-20% you are paying a guy $9-$12usd for merely bringing your food to the table! Imagine this guy works 4 tables in an hour, this is $36-$48usd an hour relatively tax free!!! "

While it's true that tips (in the States) are a minimum of 15%, you also need to consider that usually the waiter's tips are often pooled and divided. And a portion of their tips are customarily shared with the bus-boys and other dining room help. Those who work in more expensive establishments get larger tips as the bills are larger. In fact, it's not unheard of for a potential waiter to _pay_ the owner of a high-end eaterie to get the job, knowing that the future tip income will be very big. But, consider the gal working in the local diner and breakfast cafe, where food prices are low...and her tip income is also proportionately low.

Archived