TGS tell me the biggest Cheap Charlie?s are?.

walletss

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have worked for tips in a Hi-End bar and restaurant in a major city in USA in the past. Worst tippers---Germans and Israeli's. Waitresses used to get mad when they got a table full of either. One time a large party of Germans ran up a food and barbill of $900 and when they left gave the waitress $5 and told her to give some to the bartender for the great drinks. Best Euro's were the Brits especially if they had been drinking a lot. Americans varied depending upon where they were from in the states. Small town USA--small tips! New Yorker--big tips.

Not about thailand but an interesting true story about tipping expectations.

My boss was entertaining some visitors from our European Head office at one of the upscale restaurants in Vancouver.

There were ten of them in the dinner party, and they drank a lot of expensive wine, so the bill was quite large, nine thousand dollars, when the cheque arrived my boss gave his credit card to the heat waiter, and signed his slip and rounded the bill up to ten thousand dollars, thinking a thousand dollar tip would be a nice thing to do, and went back to join the party, a minute later the head waiter asked my boss to come see him and discuss the bill, my boss was thinking that his credit card was over the limit, but that was not the reason, the head waiter told him that regardless of the bill size, 15% was what the tip should be!!

My boss got very mad, and asked for the old bill and credit card slip to be torn up, which it was, and then be given a new slip to fill in, on which he wrote in the tip line "no tip" and signed it and gave it back to the head waiter and told him that this was the last time he would see him in this place.

I do not know how the head waiter fared when the other staff were told that they would not be splitting up the thousand dollar tip.

cause in general I believe the salaries are much higher counted in bahts in USA than in Europe

Hi trooper,

As a matter of fact I think this is uncorrect. Especially when it comes to lower income levels. I am working at an european airline company and have several US colleagues and they only make half of what we make.

True - their taxes are not as high as ours but then again we have an whole array of public services, like health care etc.etc. which are completely free.

But still at the end of the day we probably have more or less sum of money at disposal.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Phew!!! I read through all the posts above...

Some things are being missed about tipping in USA and tipping in LOS.

Tipping 15% in the USA is not mandatory. But it's nice. Therefore, in my experience, people usually work for tips. That is, after bringing you your meal, they come around to ask you how you are doing and see if you need anything. If you go to breakfast, they keep your cup full of hot coffee.

In Thailand, there is NO service. Your food is delivered and then you are forgotten. They make it a point to never look at you again. (Of course, if you take out money, their true bionic abilities are revealed.)

My experience was somewhat similar in France, where the tip is included.

In the USA, I will tip between 0 and 20% depending on service. I must say, as Old Hippie noted, that since I have been going to Thailand I rarely go out to dinner in the US because the prices are so awesome. On the other hand, I take my GF to breakfast or lunch once or twice a week. What we do now is order one meal and two plates. Never a problem. Better for the fiscal and physical. It's still the price of a gourmet meal in LOS!

Zane

Archived