TGS tell me the biggest Cheap Charlie?s are?.

walletss

"...But, consider the gal working in the local diner and breakfast cafe, where food prices are low...and her tip income is also proportionately low..."

Actually, I have been told that the customers in the cheaper places tip better... I have worked in a few middle end places, kitchen help and bar. The tips were incredible! For me, and I think a lot of guys, we resent having to pay a large tip automatically, especially for rude or otherwise bad service...As for the tip jars at carry out places, this is just pushing it! I mean I walk in as for a cup of coffee, they hand you an empty cup, (you have to go fill it yourself) take your money and want a tip? FUCK THAT!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am from Belgium and tips are included in the bill at 17%, regardless of quality of service and that's bad. And you really don't know where the money goes...

Here in Chumpon I mostly eat at cheap places, when the owner serves the food I sometimes tip, when it are employees I always leave a tip in accordance with the height of the bill and the quality of the service (at least 10%)

For taxis I round up a bit (not much) unless I am scammed like last week in Bangkok, a trip from Dong Muang to Bang Sue railway station (behind Chatuchak, Northern Bangkok) where the meter showed 310 baht + 50 bath for that airport tax or whatever it's called. Seems they fiddle with the meter.

Hi,

"For taxis I round up a bit (not much) unless I am scammed like last week in Bangkok, a trip from Dong Muang to Bang Sue railway station (behind Chatuchak, Northern Bangkok) where the meter showed 310 baht + 50 bath for that airport tax or whatever it's called. Seems they fiddle with the meter."

310 Baht!!! Damn, that is about triple the real price. I paid 140 Baht a few days ago from Don Muang to Sutthisan.

No 50 Baht tax either since I took a taxi from the departures level :neener:

Sanuk!

Quite often the Taxi driver will try to hit you up for the 50 baht before taking you from the departure section, also they have set up a table with a guard now recording the identity details from the taxis taking people from departure level.

But all in all its much better than going downstairs and getting pot luck with the unroadworthy wrecks waiting in line!!

[color:"green"] But, consider the gal working in the local diner and breakfast cafe, where food prices are low...and her tip income is also proportionately low. [/color]

That is not necessarily the case. The local diner can have higher turnover so the server has more customers per hour and thus more tip income.

Hi,

"Quite often the Taxi driver will try to hit you up for the 50 baht before taking you from the departure section, also they have set up a table with a guard now recording the identity details from the taxis taking people from departure level."

Yes, saw this table and his id was taken down, but he did not ask me for the 50 Baht, nor was he charged this 50 Baht.

I asked him why his id was taken down and he said it was for tourist security.

Sanuk!

I've worked as a bartender and a waiter for a number of years here in America and I can tell you that cheap-ass employers are the problem. They use the custom of tipping (for good service) to subsidise their wage expenses. The minimum wage for tipped employees in the US is $2.13/hour. Without tips these people can't survive. If the employers paid a living wage, they would then pass that on to the customer with higher food costs or mandatory service charges.

Making my living from tipped work, I tip others well, but if service is bad I do not tip. I think cheap charlies use bad service as an excuse when complaining about tipping. Tipping is not mandatory, but honestly appreciated by hard working people just trying to get by.

Once I dealt with very poorly in a restaurant in Pattaya. The experience pissed me off and put a negative light on my evening out with a lady. I left a tip. One 50 satang coin! That was a usual exception, though.

Reading some of what OH has to say re tipping in the US, I am kind of glad that we Aussies have a reputation for being lousy tippers - I will have to work hard to uphold that rep on my next trip to the US !

As for Asia, I'll ignore Thailand as thats a known quantity. I found that it was largely expected in many places in Hong Kong and Singapore, yet I was forced to put my money away in mainland China, at least in the hotel. I usually round up a bill or add 10%, but never this 15-20% OH mentions - thats extortion, IMO.

Why do Australians have a reputation as poor tippers ?

1. Our dollar simply doesnt go as far as the USD.

2. Although it is becoming more widespread, its still not considered the norm to leave a sizeable tip in many establishments.

3. Thats serious drinking money when you start adding it all up !

Reading some of what OH has to say re tipping in the US, I am kind of glad that we Aussies have a reputation for being lousy tippers - I will have to work hard to uphold that rep on my next trip to the US !

What is the difference between a Canadian and a canoe ?

A canoe tips ! :neener:

[color:"green"] Reading some of what OH has to say re tipping in the US, I am kind of glad that we Aussies have a reputation for being lousy tippers - [/color]

Anybody remember this song?

[color:"blue"] THE FAMOUS "CHEAP CHARLIE" SONG [/color]

Uc-dai-loi, Cheap Charlie,

He no buy me Siagon tea,

Siagon tea costs many many P,

Uc-da-loi he Cheap Charlie.

Uc-dai-loi,Cheap Charlie,

He no give me MPC,

MPC costs many many P,

Uc-dai-loi he Cheap Charlie.

Uc-dai-loi, Cheap Charlie

He no go to bed with me,

Bed with me costs many many P

Uc-dai-loi he Cheap Charlie.

Make me give him one for free,

Mamma-san go crook at me,

Uc-dai-loi, he Cheap Charlie.

He give baby-san to me,

Baby-san costs many many P,

Uc-dai-loi, he Cheap Charlie.

He go home across the sea,

He leave baby-san with me,

Uc-dai-loi he Cheap Charlie

Explanation

This song became famous in South Vietnam. There is not one Australian who served there that did not know it, most only remember the first verse today. It is sung to the tune of Nick, Nack, Paddywack Give The Dog A Bone (from the Inn of the Sixth Happiness). We list hereunder the translation of some of the words you may not understand.

Uc-dai-loi = Australian

Cheap Charlie = Stingy

Saigon Tea = Whiskey & Coke (it could be tea)

P = Piastre (local Currency)

MPC = Military Payment Certificate

Archived