A Thai relationship not so easy.

trotsky2

Says danno5:

"(and he was just and engineer)".. :: just and engineer?, just an engineer?, whats wrong with being an engineer????? Are we the lowest of classes???

:grinyes:
(only kidding, I don't think you meant harm by that statement.....)

I am sure Jasmine meant no offense, but I found it an odd remark myself. On a professional level, most engineers would be considered higher level professionals, certainly in Canada at least.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say you hate any class system, but then you look down on people with less education than you.

I've always admired wealthy or educated people who are very 'down to earth'. "Down to earth' is the most important trait of my friends.

I'm not at all impressed by snobs, whether their snobbery is based on social status or education status. Depending on the situation, I sometimes feel sorry for them because it is clear that they are insecure and use the snobbery as a defense mechanism.

Sorry for going off topic.

Says lovethai:

Says danno5:

"(and he was just and engineer)".. :: just and engineer?, just an engineer?, whats wrong with being an engineer????? Are we the lowest of classes???

:grinyes:
(only kidding, I don't think you meant harm by that statement.....)

I am sure Jasmine meant no offense, but I found it an odd remark myself. On a professional level, most engineers would be considered higher level professionals, certainly in Canada at least.

Well there are custodial, janitorial and sanitation engineers.

[color:"red"] [/color] " She is not a prostitute (to my knowledge, I seriously doubt it)but her job is in the entertainment area. Thus, her friends tend to either be bargirls or people associated with that sector of the economy" [color:"red"] [/color]

Boy that is a red flag if I ever saw one.

Well while this is not necessarily a concrete opinion it is grounded in long observation of Thai culture.. You have only spent 3 months with her .Are you sure about her past and what she does when you are not around? TG can be very very crafty at hiding their pasts. Do you speak Thai with the ability to undertsand her conversations with her friends?

I am throwing this out there simply as perhaps a helpful consideration -not to rain on your party.

IE What I am tryin to say is welllll errrr Bar girls almost always hangout with other Bar Grils They RARELY mix...Ocassionaly but not so often in my observation.

Don't rush my friend-What is the hurry?Marriage is a serious consideration Why can't you come study in Thialand and really get to know her Why do yo have to get married?Khun mee welar mahk.

Says danno5:

Holly crap! I am an elec eng, and am afraid to ever admit it. Hard to beat the nerdy sterotype. But uneducated or lower class. OMG!

Naiv,

Interesting comment you have. My take on socio-econ class status is more determined in today's world by one's income earnings or net worth han by any other sole factor. Other factors come into play as well.

So a person (starting from a low class background) who has a sixth grade education who makes millions in some endeaver can leapfrog into an upper-middle class status position (maybe still won't even be accepted by some of the old traditionalists) while a PhD person working as a NGO director at $22,000 a year will remain viewed as a low/middle class status if that individual solely relying upon that income and has no history/upbringing in higher class status. You could take another person with same education and same position as a NGO director but if that person does have a background history of a much higher socio-econ class then that person will be associated with a higher class level. Who you hang with, what activities do you do, your disposable income and how you spend it (investment vs spending) also comes into play in painting a profile of what you are.

There are many grey areas in this topic. How do you assess someone who has more than 2 million in US dollars (cash) but all his friends and social cirlcles define with what middle class is? Conversely, someone who morgaged and debitied to the max and hangs with upper middle social cirlcles to impress but with zero net worth/savings if he lost his high risk/high reward job tomorrow? Different criteria will render different definitions of where one falls in the socio-econ spectrum.

Sometimes I think it is a state of mind......

Cardinalblue

So a person (starting from a low class background) who has a sixth grade education who makes millions in some endeaver can leapfrog into an upper-middle class status position (maybe still won't even be accepted by some of the old traditionalists) while a PhD person working as a NGO director at $22,000 a year will remain viewed as a low/middle class status if that individual solely relying upon that income and has no history/upbringing in higher class status. You could take another person with same education and same position as a NGO director but if that person does have a background history of a much higher socio-econ class then that person will be associated with a higher class level. Who you hang with, what activities do you do, your disposable income and how you spend it (investment vs spending) also comes into play in painting a profile of what you are.

There are many grey areas in this topic. How do you assess someone who has more than 2 million in US dollars (cash) but all his friends and social cirlcles define with what middle class is? Conversely, someone who morgaged and debitied to the max and hangs with upper middle social cirlcles to impress but with zero net worth/savings if he lost his high risk/high reward job tomorrow? Different criteria will render different definitions of where one falls in the socio-econ spectrum.

:dunno: socio-econ babble :cussing::banghead:

Chinese philosopher say. " all men shit out of one asshole".

Works for me. :grinyes:

Guest lazyphil

In my experience in particular when I worked as a postman in a mixed class area I delivered in I found some of the most sincere, kind, friendly and intelligent people were those of high class...in that I mean the people, in this case family who had serious amounts of money, i.e. a Range Rover with a classic E-type Jag in the garage and a big old rambling Tudor house and worked as a top eye surgeon, this family had style and class. I have other similar examples to this. Then I had some customers who lived on plastic estates, nice 4 bedroom houses, a VW Passat maybe but with heavy debt I guess on all their show, lots of these people were blatant snobs and frankly had nothing to be snobbish about, yes they earnt more than me, had more but were small beer compared to the aforementioned, they lacked any class, style, grace or charm. They might have had a good education or business sense but I find 'old' money people have something you can't compete with. I remember the two old spinsters who lived in the old village manor house, both mad as a bag of spanners but had so much money they had no worries and it showed, they were genuine and kind beyond belief. Those at the very opposite scale living on the council estate were down to earth unpretentious people except for those who had the add on conservatory and a 92' BMW 3 series, but they can be forgiven even if they did think they were on a higher plain :banghead:

By definition, an engineering degree punches your ticket to reside in "middle-classness" (no flame intended). It is a nice and safe position working for someone else. Most engineers will cap out in their salary level rather quickly. Frustration builds.....

What you do with the engineer degree is what matters most. Most will be happy with that $70,000 - $120,000 postiion working for some city or private consulting firm. It is the engineer who wants to run the show for themseves that differentiates himself/herself from the typical engineering profile. They maybe go back to school get their MBA and start-up their own engineering/business company turning it a million dollar company with high earning potential. It is about marketing/turning your engineering degree into a business rather than one's actual engineering knowledge. Compensation is done accordingly.

I know many engineers in the former and a couple in the latter.....

Cardinalblue

Archived