fiancee visa question

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just turned in the I-129 here in USA. am i supposed to just wait for my TGF to get the packet 3 mailed to her, or is there a way to have all the stuff finished so that when it gets approved here in USA, we can just drop it off at the embassy in BKK???

Says mspoonamore:

i just turned in the I-129 here in USA. am i supposed to just wait for my TGF to get the packet 3 mailed to her, or is there a way to have all the stuff finished so that when it gets approved here in USA, we can just drop it off at the embassy in BKK???

No, you can't do that. But you do not need to wait for the packet to get all the paper work done.

Here is a link that tells you everything you need to know. http://www.k1faq.com/#outline

It probably isn't current with the new fees but all that info is available at the links at the US Embassy in Thailand web site http://usa.or.th/services/visa/k1.htm

Wanna know how long the process is taking these days? Go here http://www.davehollis.com/k1/list.php?orderby=countryname&dir=1

And be thankful you are going through the California Service Center.

" am i supposed to just wait for my TGF to get the packet 3 mailed to her, or is there a way to have all the stuff finished so that when it gets approved here in USA"

Theoretically, Packet #3 will be mailed by the Embassy to your wife and she should fill it out and submit it. That is how my wife did it in the pre Internet days. Nowadays we can speed up the process.

1. What is the official date of receipt that the INS received your I-129F? (you should receive an official receipt no later than 2 weeks after you mailed in the 129F packet). According to http://shusterman.com/csc.html

the California Service Center is currently working on I-129Fs that were received on 11/19/02, so therefore you will have about a 4 month wait until it is approved, better than Nebraska's 6 month wait.

2. Does your fiancee live in Bkk? If not there was a posting on how to do the Police Certificate via mail.

3. I am not trying to favor any particular board, but on the ThaiFalang board there is a wealth of info on the Fiancee Visa for Thailand:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ThaiFalang/start

4. On the start page of the ThaiFalang board, we have a link to the contents of Packet 3.

It is current as of this month.

I recommend that you start gathering all of the info ASAP, type it up (do not date it). As soon as you see that the I-129F was approved(see it on the Internet or by calling the California Service Center recording-call late at night), have her go for her medical exam and police certificate. When you receive the official Approval Notice then FedEx (not US Mail) it all to your fiancee along with the original Approval Notice (make sure that you have some good copies of everything that you send to her). She should then sign and date everything, then go to the post office and pay for the visa application fee, and then submit everything (proof of relationship, all documents (birth certificate etc.)) to the Embassy and they will set up a date for the interview (about 3 weeks later) and then she will have the interview, and receive the visa that day or the next day. If everything works out and there are any glitches she should have the visa by August 1,2003. Make sure that she brings every piece of documentation to the Embassy and back with her to the USA. You will need some of this stuff over the next few years. She MUST bring her birth certificate in English and Thai to the USA. You will need this as soon as you get married for the Adjustment of Status process.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Jay

All--

Jay's info is all correct.. To add a few things to it...

Your Police Certificate.. You **CAN** get it early.. Just be sure that it is NOT more than 180 days (6mos) old on the date of your interview.. This is should not be an issue for you.

Your Medical Certificate.. Again, you **CAN** get this done now. So long as she has no indications of TB and/or the doctor does not specify an expiration date, the Certificate will be valid for ONE YEAR from the date of it's issuance.. The certificate MUST be valid on the date she ENTERS the US not the date of her interview at the Consualte.

As Jay mentions, you (and I would suggest you do) can go to the Consualte and get the Packet 3 early.. Don't wait for your I-129F to be approved before you go and get the packet 3.. There are alot of things you can be collecting and working on while the BCIS (formerly INS) is working on your I-129F. You should finish your packet 3 well before you receive Notice of Action (with approval).

Therefore it is advisable to (and the Consualte will let you) turn in your Packet 3 **before** they receive your approved I-129F packet from the Service Center.. When you go to turn in your completed packet 3 they will accept pending receipt of your I-129F. They will actually open a case file for you. They will **NOT** say your docuements are good or not, nor will they look them over.. This is done by a Consular Officer at the time of your interview.

So, when she has EVERYTHING on the checklist have her take it all to the Consulate.. Once the Consulate gets the approval notice (they get Diplomatice Mail 5 days a week) they will either call or send a letter advising her of her interview date.

Like Jay said the Western Service Center (Laguna Nigel) is about 4 months out and the Northern Service Center (Lincoln, NE) is about 6 months out... You can't choose the Service Center as it's done by your place of residence. Don't try to use a dummy address..

Jay's got an excellent suggestion.. Make 100% sure that you've got certified copies (in thai and english) of ALL her documents.. especially her birth ceritificate and similar records.

All things being equal, the US Consulate in Bangkok is very user friendly in this process and will help your TGF if she needs it..

--UPSer

All--

Jay's info is all correct.. To add a few things to it...

Your Police Certificate.. You **CAN** get it early.. Just be sure that it is NOT more than 180 days (6mos) old on the date of your interview.. This is should not be an issue for you.

Your Medical Certificate.. Again, you **CAN** get this done now. So long as she has no indications of TB and/or the doctor does not specify an expiration date, the Certificate will be valid for ONE YEAR from the date of it's issuance.. The certificate MUST be valid on the date she ENTERS the US not the date of her interview at the Consualte.

As Jay mentions, you (and I would suggest you do) can go to the Consualte and get the Packet 3 early.. Don't wait for your I-129F to be approved before you go and get the packet 3.. There are alot of things you can be collecting and working on while the BCIS (formerly INS) is working on your I-129F. You should be able to finish your packet 3 well before you receive your Notice of Action (with approval) from the regional Service Center.. Use the waiting time to get all those Packet 3 things done..

Therefore it is advisable to (and the Consualte will let you) turn in your Packet 3 **before** they receive your approved I-129F packet from the Service Center.. When you go to turn in your completed packet 3, tell the clerk that you've already filed your I-129 but not yet recieved your Notice of Action (approval), they will accept your papers pending receipt of your I-129F approval notice.

They will actually open a case file for you. They will **NOT** say your docuements are good or not, nor will they look them over.. This is done by a Consular Officer at the time of your interview.

So, when she has EVERYTHING on the checklist have her take it all to the Consulate.. Once the Consulate gets the approval notice (they get Diplomatice Mail 4 days a week) they will either call or send a letter advising her of her interview date.

Like Jay said the Western Service Center (Laguna Nigel) is about 4 months out and the Northern Service Center (Lincoln, NE) is about 6 months out... You can't choose the Service Center as it's done by your place of residence. Don't try to use a dummy address..

Jay's got an excellent suggestion.. Make 100% sure that you've got a bunch certified copies (in thai and english) of ALL her documents.. especially her birth ceritificate and similar records.

All things being equal, the US Consulate in Bangkok is very user friendly in this process and will help your TGF if she needs it..

--UPSer

"Your Police Certificate.. You **CAN** get it early.. Just be sure that it is NOT more than 180 days (6mos) old on the date of your interview.. This is should not be an issue for you.

Your Medical Certificate.. Again, you **CAN** get this done now. So long as she has no indications of TB and/or the doctor does not specify an expiration date, the Certificate will be valid for ONE YEAR from the date of it's issuance.. The certificate MUST be valid on the date she ENTERS the US not the date of her interview at the Consualte."

That is excellent information to know because the TG's who are not living in Bkk could have a logistical nightmare trying to coordinate all this documentation at the same time...and we all know how efficient Thais are with logistics and coordination (sorry, I couldn't resist!) Jay

Jay--

Most of the forms she has to obtain (the Police Certificate/Health Certificate) and the forms you have to fill out (I-134) are usually valid for 6 or 12 months.. However, I would try to have the forms as "current" as possible...

I gave the Consulate (on my I-134) 2002 tax year information (like 2002 W-2's and 1099's), even though it was well in February 2003.. The I-134 does not have a stated "validity" period per se, but is generally considered to be current for a one year period.. I've asked the Consulate this question three different times and was always told "6 months for sure, perhaps up to one year at the discretion of the Consular Officer"

The Health Certificate will be valid for 12 months unless "Class A or TB conditions exists"... The it's only 6 months.. This statement can be found on the first page of the DS-2053 form just underneath where the photo is affixed...

--UPSer

thanks for all the helpful info... i imagine this has already been discussed on the board, but there is probably a new batch of us marrying TGF's every 6-12 months. :) I just got the confirmation letter...i'll let you know how it all goes....

Archived