Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee

Land Rover Discovery

SB,

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

errr, yes in Thailand.

Land Rover and Jeeps to me seem "middle range" cost....a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee or Land Rover would cost around 8-900K Baht .....this is one of the cheapest models....

I agree the Land Cruiser is a lovely car but is double the price of Jeeps / Land Rover .....

SB.

SanukBoot,

in case you are looking for a second hand unit, watch the engine rather than the body. Toyota 2,4l (2L) turbodiesel eats cylinder heads , so does the Mitsubishi either 2,5 l (D56) or the later 2,8l (M40). Japanese turbo-diesel engines generally have ( thanks God) a short life. These repairs are very costly unless Buffalo_Bill is your friend. My recommendation from a basic point of view : if the vehicle has done some miles , I would prefer a vehicle with a naturally aspirated engine like the Toyota 2,8 l (3L) or Isuzu any engine. Probably your girlfriend would be impressed by a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, you would arrive at your sweetheart's home in no time. ( Udon Thani maybe ).

Bbill , vehicles

I would be impressed by owning a Porsche as well but I don't have the bucks for that!!!!!! :banghead:

As some people say in Thailand, it would be a "selfish car" as it only really fits 2 people.

SB,

SB - I have a Grand Cherokee and have done 50,000 KM's in just over a year and its been no trouble except for leaking aircon but probably more important, the engine has never failed when stuck out in the sticks. Would I buy another one? Yes, but I would also look closely at the Discovery. Problem with buying 2nd hand cars is the worry about the service history. There is a American guy who up until recently had a Jeep dealership (but switched it to Mazda) where I brought mine. Good straight guy and I would imagine he could get hold of a reliable clean used one fairly easy. Second hand Disco is a problem given the earlier models are pretty unreliable and given they have less dealerships in Thailand than you have fingers on your hand, getting spares easily could be a problem.

Japanese cars and pick-ups are easily sourced for spares except for high end Landcruisers & Mitsu's where only a few dealerships carry spares.

Mate of mine just brought a new D-Max and he loves it, fast, powerfull and even better only 800,000 for pickup brand new. By the way he also has a BMW M5 as his other car so it had a lot to live up to !!!!

Cheers

Archived