4WD Purchase decision

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen several porsche's in BKK. Also two ferrari's (I think two, could have been the same one on different occasions, One of the tmies was in the ASOK plaza parking lot of all places. I was really curious how they got it in there as I believe there is a slight rise in the pavement at the entrance.

When I see a high performance car in BKK I just have to cry. If I had the money, I still wouldn't subject a high calibur machine to these streets. Would hurt to much.

<<burp>>

Porsche would be totally inappropriate to Thailand I would think. I have also seen a Ferrari in Thailand, it was in the foyer of Tonys disco in Pattaya.

It reinforced my view of him.

If I lived in Bkk and money wasnt an issue I think I would go for BMW 540 or something, Mercedes are too Chinese for me.

If lived out in the sticks maybe a Range Rover, so I would gain more face than a Land Cruiser man.

Incidentally I have seen a very well kept 1960's Rolls Royce outside a cafe on Kao San road. A guy was employed to watch over it, it was in mint condition.

STH

>If I lived in Bkk and money wasnt an issue I think I would go for BMW 540 or something, Mercedes are too Chinese for me.

The only country on the planet where you can find more Mercs than in Gelemany is - Thailand.

>If lived out in the sticks maybe a Range Rover, so I would gain more face than a Land Cruiser man.

In the Aussie outback, the only 4WDs you can see are Toyotas, Nissan Patrols, sometimes LandRover Defender.

Those rough guys know what works what does not. You'll never see Pajeros, Jeeps, ...

Rangies are driven in the big cities by housewives, dropping/collecting kids to/from school.

No wonder Volvo sees their biggest competitors among Range Rover and Subaru byers.

And the windsceen for the Rangie is - 700US$ to replace, 1 week to get it.

Comparing to 150US$ for Toyotas and on the spot repair.

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

Porsche would be totally inappropriate to Thailand I would think. I have also seen a Ferrari in Thailand, it was in the foyer of Tonys disco in Pattaya.

It reinforced my view of him.

It was a Ferrari 348... Haven't seen it around much lately, though- perhaps his BKK disco venture didn't go as well as planned.

There are actually a number of Ferraris around and even a Lamborghini or two in the city. A Thai friend's dad owns a 456 but no one in the family wants to drive it as it's not suited to the city- the Porsche is his daily driver. Saw a 456 recently for sale in the Thai auto ads for a relatively reasonable price (something around 5.5m from memory) considering how much they were new- but the costs of upkeep are scary enough to keep virtually anyone away.

A former poster on the 'other' board had two late-80s Porsches that he restored when he was living here. Fun to drive around in but maintenance required that he find a good mechanic.

I tried owning a sports car here (Supra). The combination of unreal traffic, bumpy roads (10x worse on low suspension and 18in wheels that bend easily), and heat made it a pain to own and I eventually wound up selling it just shy of 1 year's ownership. A real shame as I love cars but the thing wound up taking up so much of my time that I felt like it owned me rather than the other way around.

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

Incidentally I have seen a very well kept 1960's Rolls Royce outside a cafe on Kao San road. A guy was employed to watch over it, it was in mint condition.

That's the owner of Buddy Hotel, Susie Pub, Austin Pub, The Club, Sidewalk Cafe, etc etc. A Thai guy who started as a cigarette boy on Khao Sarn many many years ago and literally built up his empire from scratch.

Cheers!

Archived