4WD Purchase decision

SanukBoot,

I am a 4WD freak. Get a LandCruiser GXL if you can. In Oz, it's about 1.5 million bahts.

All others are toys comparing to it. I owned Pajero, Jeep, drove Prado. Nothing like LandCruiser, believe me. Did really heavy off-road driving, with winching, high jack lifting...

4WD capabilities of the LC are unparalleled. And (with Prado) they are the only full time 4WD among all on the list. (Only Range Rover is another FT 4WD). Others are 2WD with part time 4WD that must not be engaged on a bitumen road.

On the road it rides almost like a luxury car.

My next car will be - LandCruiser again. Never had a better and more reliable car in my life.

If the money is an issue, go for Prado.

Forget Jeeps - they are the worst 4WDs money can buy. If Toyota or Nissan were to release such a vehicle, they would have been laughed out of town.

Mitsubishi - they are good for fast sand driving (Paris-Dakar), wheel travel is short (does not byte) and you get ur diff useless while sitting on a front left and back right wheel, other 2 spinning in vain.

I can talk days and days, send me a PM if you need more.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Japanese cars and pick-ups are easily sourced for spares except for high end Landcruisers & Mitsu's where only a few dealerships carry spares.

Spare part you may need more than any other part would be - the windshield. That's an indicator how well stocked dealerships are.

If you intend to do lots of off-road, check availability of spare parts in that area. 3 days to courier you a new glass from BKK in a rainy season...no good.

Forget about alloy wheels - they are good for "shopping safaris". If you bend them off road, they crush like a sugar cube.

Get normal steel wheels. Good old hammer can straighten any dents in them.

thinktoomut,

the only reasonable area in the kingdom to buy spares is around Worachak Road close to Chinatown, talking about new parts. Second hand eldorado is Chula Soi , not too far from Worachak.

SanukBoot,

It is wrong to think offroad vehicles are safer. they only look safe due to the massive appearance. in case of frontal accidents any well constructed passenger car usually offers more protection because the body absorbs more energy than your iron offroad tank. the previous Nissan Patrol with the SD33 engine has been a real killer.

Bbill

Go for the Jeep Grande Cherokee every time - am told that they are made(assembled) by BMW in Europe and are now just superior build and driving quality - whereas the BMW is made in Brazil and is a bit sloppy in build. My landlord is one of Australiia's wealthiest persons and has driven every car on the planet and could buy a fleet of anything in an instant, yet he swears by the Jeep Grande Cherokee and that is what he drives. Another person I know is a Porsche dealer of reknown and can have anything he wants in luxury motor-cars - he chooses to drive a Jeep Grande Cherokee on a daily basis.

>It is wrong to think offroad vehicles are safer. they only look safe due to the massive appearance.

That makes them safe - others give you right of way. I'm not an agressive driver but that's what you see all the time.

A friend I borrowed my 4WD to for a day (who had never driven one before) said that people were moving off his way, even in shopping mall parking stations.

> in case of frontal accidents any well constructed passenger car usually offers more protection because the body absorbs more energy than your iron offroad tank.

Sorry, in that case I would rather be in a LandCruiser than in a VW Golf...which may end up under the belly of a 4WD.

There is one safety feature full size 4WD have - you are high up and "side impact" is not an issue. Volvo boosts it's safety reputation exactly on that - "SIPS" - Side Impact Protection System.

>Go for the Jeep Grande Cherokee every time - am told that they are made(assembled) by BMW in Europe and are now just superior build and driving quality - whereas the BMW is made in Brazil and is a bit sloppy in build. My landlord is one of Australiia's wealthiest persons and has driven every car on the planet and could buy a fleet of anything in an instant, yet he swears by the Jeep Grande Cherokee and that is what he drives. Another person I know is a Porsche dealer of reknown and can have anything he wants in luxury motor-cars - he chooses to drive a Jeep Grande Cherokee on a daily basis.

OK...I'll show my cards...I'm a prominent member of the largest 4WD club in Oz. Oz, the country that's 95% good for 4WDs. This is where Pajero (name for a desert in South Australia) was developed and tested.

We have all possible (capable) vehicles in the club and and collective knowledge is probably world leading.

BMW, Merc 4WD - not a single one in the club as their off-road capabilities are just nominal. The club can't take them on trips because they are toys and would just be nuisance to bog them out several times a day.

And owner would feel like shit while everybody mumbles about their expensive crappy vehicles that are spoiling the trip.

When it comes to 4WD capabilities:

1. Suzuki Sierra (small, goes where big 4WDs can't go)

2. Landcruiser

3. Patrol

Jeeps are jokingly pronounced "Cheeep". After seeing what other vehicles can do - their humbled owners quietly disappear from the gatherings.

>please in future try to applaude to anything i am saying here, I HATE OPPOSITION !!!!

Sorry BB,

This is one of the things I learned so much about that I don't know what to do with all that knowledge.

Nobody has asked me anything for a long time about 4WDs.

Now, finally, somebody is asking and I can't restrain myself.

Can't resist, another little known truth: automatic gear 4WD is better than a manual one.

TTM,

I am glad to find a 4WD enthusiast......as I do need some info ahead of my purchase.....

now with my limited knowledge I believe the land cruiser is the better option, given, past experience with friends in Australia....I also think the "look" is better than most 4WDs .....

Now there is an interesting debate going on here with some credible information for both the land cruiser and the grand cherokee....

For me, we will be primarily doing on-road driving, but, to have the "proper" offroad specs would be good as it would open a whole new segment of leisure activities......

TTM, I agree about the size factor...our family used to own a Range Rover and the road was ours as no-one (except other 4wd) would challenge you...therefore, you get the additional safety which is important for Bangkok / off country roads.....

The Range Rover was a real fuel guzzler, how do did you find the land cruiser in terms of petrol consumption....always assuming the worse when it comes to 4WDs....SingaporeSteve, how is the Jeep in terms of petrol consumption....

I understand the discoveries manufactured the tow bar incorrectly in that it was too low and for real off-road driving the tow-bar needs to be removed or modified ...this would be a concern for me if I wanted to buy a discovery....

The other important aspect for the car will be suspension...any car on Thai roads need to have durable suspension as it will take a battering on and off the roads.....TTM, how was the land cruiser in this department......

SB.

>now with my limited knowledge I believe the land cruiser is the better option, given, past experience with friends in Australia....I also think the "look" is better than most 4WDs .....

You can't make a mistake with LandCruiser. That's the best on the market.

>Now there is an interesting debate going on here with some credible information for both the land cruiser and the grand cherokee....

Grand Cherokee is a "medium", LC is a "full" size 4WD. They are hardly comparable. LC is compared with Nissan Patrol.

>For me, we will be primarily doing on-road driving, but, to have the "proper" offroad specs would be good as it would open a whole new segment of leisure activities......

Look how bit the boot is, towing capabilities, payload...

Diff locks, approach/departure angles, independent suspension.

>The Range Rover was a real fuel guzzler, how do did you find the land cruiser in terms of petrol consumption....always assuming the worse when it comes to 4WDs....

Yes...you are not talking fuel economy when you talk 4.5 litre engine.

25 lit/100km is LC in the city.

150 lit (two inbuilt tanks) take you from Pattaya to Malaysian border on the other side of the bay without refuelling, open road.

>I understand the discoveries manufactured the tow bar incorrectly in that it was too low and for real off-road driving the tow-bar needs to be removed or modified ...this would be a concern for me if I wanted to buy a discovery....

Tow bar is not standard on any 4WD. It's an option that always reduces departure angle, on all vehicles. What you have to do is - turn it around so the "apple" is up.

>The other important aspect for the car will be suspension...any car on Thai roads need to have durable suspension as it will take a battering on and off the roads.....TTM, how was the land cruiser in this department......

Veru good as they all are. All vehicles you mentioned in your initial post have good suspension except maybe Cherokee but they have changed that, especially with Grand Cherokee.

The diff are 4WDs with leaf springs in the back but nowdays they are still kept only on pick-ups.

I would shortlist 2 vehicles : LC and Prado.

With difference: it's like LC being a business class and Prado being an economy class on the same plane. Both classes take you there but the enjoyment is worlds apart.

Oh, important: colour. Get it in white. Looks clean, scratches are not visible, keep the car much cooler under the sun.

Look your favourite places - shopping mall gates. It has to say "1.9m" or more max height. That means you can get in/out without deflating your tyres.

Don't buy any accessories other than tow bar (bull bars, snorkles, side steps, alloy wheels, radios, antennas...). Dealers usually say "our accessories are certified not to interfere with air bags sensors" but it's bullshit. Many after market manufacturers do that and much better than the original one.

Archived