Seeking New Home for Ostriches

StoneSoup

No - not mine. I have an American friend who owns & runs an ostrich farm vicinity Phitsanulok.

Following some personal problems (married to a bg), he has determined a need to leave the country. Don't ask.

But - this guy is a true world expert in ostrich farming and breeding. He's got about a dozen young adult birds - six pairs I think, who have just completed their first breeding cycle. Documented pedigrees, superbly healthy birds.

If anyone knows an experienced ostrich hand who might be interested in purchasing young breeder birds, please send me a PM, and I'll give you contact details. I think my friend said 95,000 baht per bird.

This guy is a fanatic about care of these birds. He will only sell to an experienced buyer who satisfies my friend that he knows how to care for the birds. Evidently, his experience with Thai ostrich breeders is that they don't have a clue (and treat ostiches like hogs).

I wasn't sure where to put this post. But "General Discussion" was looking kind of unremarkable, so I thought I'd toss in something a bit different.

Lets' see what sort of ostrich stories trickle out of the crowd.

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

;)

Finding an experienced farang ostrich handler in Thailand. Well . . . stranger things have happened.

Last November I was in a small rural village in the Ubon Ratchathani province near the Laos border. A small group of us (myself, the Thai BG friend, and about 15 of her relatives) were in a small pickup truck on the way to a picnic when we stopped by a rice finishing facility to pick up yet another relative.

While everyone was talking and visiting, I noticed these very large birds enclosed in a nearby pen. I wondered over but could not get anyone to tell me if they were ostriches or emus, and whether they were farmed for meat or eggs.

Rural Issan was not a place I would have expected to see these large birds, but that's why I love this country.

Archived