The kaa factor.

buffalo_bill

My GF is not a native Thai speaker, she is Lisu. SHe didn't learn Thai until she was about 18. The way she says kaa, really sends me into orbit. :) Extra soft and singey. But she doesn't use it every sentence. She says it is not used just to be polite, but to soften. Well it doesn't soften me!

But when she really lites into someone :cussing: look out! It shifts to Lisu and there is NO doubt how angry she is. Much harsher language. I can speak a few common words, but believe me, those are not the words she uses. When she gets her dander up and breaks into Lisu, the family evacuates the entire hose in seconds, leaving ony me looking for a place to hide!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no clue what this kaa really means, to me it is just a noise. Are you sure it is an expression of politeness ?

At least according to my GF, Yes, it is an expression of politeness. My GF uses it basically with strangers and for making official phonecalls. She drops the kaa-thingy in communication with her friends, family (brother and sister only!) and me.

Cheers,

soongmak

Actually, if my GF ended every sentence in Kaaaa, I would feel pretty uncomfortable.

[color:"blue"]

I agree with you ... my ex never used "kaa" with me ... one time I asked "why you never say kaa with me" and she said "you my boyfriend!!!"

When she wants to be funny, she says "krap" with me and her friends on the phone ....

But she loves to hear "ja" ....

[/color]

Ka and krap are both polite particles..used to denote some general aspect of meaning or some connective or limiting relation. Basically a polite way to end a sentence!!!..lol

Archived