The kaa factor.

buffalo_bill

Fello boarzmen,

I did just have an extensive conversation with my ultralongtimegirlfriend via telephone and after now I think about 4 years I start to figure why that relationship lasts so long ( by far personal mia noi record, by very far) :

It is the kaa-factor. Every tenth word she speaks is kaaa, every sentence ends with kaaa, varying in length foom ka ! when she is angry up to kaaaaaaaaaa, when I say I come next week. And I just absolutely love it.

For the same reason I listen to Thai radio stations when I am in Bangkok and hear two ladies chatting. I do not understand anything but the 60 kaaaa's per minute make me crazy.

And because it shows good heart to send clothes to third world countries, I for example take a nice bra with me and then she says : "I think sekti one kaaa." This absolutely kills me.

Showing good behaviour I go outside the hotel after breakfast and buy a Thai Raht , I give her the 2 baht change back and she says : "Tip for you Khun Falang kaaa". Makes me collapse.

Please confirm this is normal.

Bbill , linguistic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a co-worker once who would say everything in English but end EVERY sentence in na ka. Sure her intention and manners were polite but after a week in was really annoying. Similarly, I have a roomate now who is Chinese and insists on conducting conversations in 60% Chinese and 40 English. The sound it creates is quite unpleasant. Just an irrelevent personal annoyer.

>hear two ladies chatting. I do not understand anything but the 60 kaaaa's per minute make me crazy.

F***!. I thought it was a good telephone manner!

Buffalo Bill, in your honour, I am going to make a premier show:

It took me one year to train my gf to talk to me in a civilised manner.

Initially, I thought she was disrespecting me. Yelling, screaming...all that.

Then, while among her friends and at their places, I noticed they almost bark at each other. She was just repeating the same, in English, it really felt ugly.

That's where the training started: when she talks to me, face to face, she was asked (by me) to pretend she was on the phone.

If she raised her voice, I would bring my fist to my ear, like I was having a phone hand set. She would lower her voice and become nice again.

And, it worked. Should she become loud or abrupt, just quiet fist to my ear makes her calm and courteous again.

Actually, if my GF ended every sentence in Kaaaa, I would feel pretty uncomfortable. I am her boyfriend after all and there is no reason to be overly polite. It would give me a sense that she doesn't feel close to me, false or not (?)

My gf has a friend and she insisted that we called her boyfriend Khun John (Name is altered to protect the innocent). She called him Khun John too! It had me ROFL. :: It was so pretentious. Her gf's were calling her Khun Nai behind her back!

Cheers,

soongmak

"It took me one year to train my gf to talk to me in a civilised manner.

Initially, I thought she was disrespecting me. Yelling, screaming...all that.

Then, while among her friends and at their places, I noticed they almost bark at each other. She was just repeating the same, in English, it really felt ugly."

Yep, I recognise that. I think its the made yourself heard syndrome. If you have a group with a loud talker, the others raise their voice too and it goes on and on.

Some of the most irritating and loud, barking voices I have come across have been in Isaan.

My ex could go on like that on the phone also, and when she met other loud talkers. But she kept the volume normal if it wasn't "needed".

Cheers!

>I have no clue what this kaa really means, to me it is just a noise. Are you sure it is an expression of politeness ?

BB,

You are not asking me, you can ignore my reply.

Heard my gf talking to her teachers over the phone.

Most of her words were "Kaa...kaaa...kaaa". When I started mocking "kaa..kaa.." she covered the mic and gave me an evil eye.

To me, felt like she was over polite to them.

Archived