GPS handhelds - where to buy?

Palatkik

There is map software, but not very detailed at all. Garmin was supposed to have detailed up to date map software out by now. Have not checked in a while tho. I use mine in the NW of LOS. Easy to get lost in the dirt road, and all other roads for that matter. Inevitably happens when GF is asleep. I get lost, ask her where the hell we are and she doesn't know. I log in way points to major places and can make my way back. I amnot anal about it, but have been compiling quite a few, but roads would be nice!

TOPO maps are quite accurate and readily available, and manual way points can be entered to get you some place.

Just a hand held will do. No maps required. Something like an Garmin Etrex that shows latitude & longitude will suffice. I've seen them in a few camping stores in Bangkok malls (but cannot remember where!) at inflated prices so thinking of Fedexing from US if no ideas on this thread.

Cheers,

A lot of handhelds uses proprietry format maps on most of there built in displays and only really detailed in US or Europe. You can scan any map of Bangkok sois and stick it in a PDA or PC linked to a GPS antenna. One usefull program I found that is free for this is OziExplorer, but there are others out there.

Cheers,

Yes that could be done. But it is Mae Hong Son/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area I need it for. No good maps for that area.

It is Garmen etrex vista I use. I got this one for mountaineering here in USA. You can find a simple etrex for US $100 here.

I just tried the Garmin web site but it is not working right now.

Suprised to hear no good maps of area you mention as I thought Thailand was well covered these days. I am looking at maps outside of Thailand in my case.

I see Garmin have a sales agent near Chonngongsri BTS in BKK available from their web site. Prices up 30% on those in the US.

Good topo maps, yes. Good road maps? Hell no!

BTW, I sent an email to Garmin to see about plans for SE Asia (LOS in paticular). I was surprised to get a response the next day!

[color:"red"] Thank you for contacting Garmin Int.,

At this point in time there is no word on when and if mapping detail will become available for that part of the world. Hopefully there will be some in the next year or so, but I would recommend just checking back every six months or so to see what is available. If you have any further qestions, please reply back to this email.

[/color]

:(

Not surprised about the higher cost. High import duties.

Archived