Bringing her to visit in U.S.

OK! You know the story! Now how do I bring my TG here to visit for awhile? She has no job!....First,looking towards tourist visa if possible?...Contemplating marriage?...How long can she stay?....How much will it cost for visa?.....Need straight answers!...........Korp Kuhn Kepth!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing NOT to do is to get either her or your hopes up.

Chances are very slim (bordering on nil) that an unmarried, jobless, probably assetless woman of child-bearing age will get a tourist visa to the US. And, it's gonna cost you $100 (lots of hours filling in forms and standing in lines) just to try.

All the details can be found on the US Embassy in Thailand website:

http://usa.or.th/services/visa/visa.htm

Obviously, if you intend to marry the girl then the situation is different. Perhaps others here will be able to give you some advice on fiancee visas.

Tough first post, but welcome!

What do you want first, the bad news or the discouraging news?

Like PD says, without a tie to home, she won't get it. Is she enrolled in school? Have children? That MAY help, but it won't be enough.

If she did get tourist visa, how long she can stay is a crap shoot. Up to the arrival immigration officer, not related to dates the visa is valid for. They seem to automatically allow 30 days and maybe 90 if you have reasons.

Now the fiancee visa is much easier, but takes much longer. She needs no ties to LOS at all. Once she arrives you have 90 days to tie the knot. If you don't marry, she has to leave. That would pretty much ensure that she would never get a tourist visa after that, but some do get subsequent fiancee visas. Many issues here, and if you want more info many folks here can help.

I hate when people say this, but I am going to say it:

Don't even waste your time trying. There is no way in hell that she will be issued a tourist visa. The following countries that are near the USA do not require visas for Thais:

Aruba,Bermuda, Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, St.Kitts-Nevis, St.Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. I think it is a good idea to spend time with your girlfriend in an English speaking country together, just the two of you, before bringing her to the USA on a fiancee visa. It will give you some idea about how dependent on you she will be. Jay

Hard but not impossible. My country require visas for thai folk too.My thai wife was a poor uneducated farm girl(worked menial restaurant jobs in BKK) with no id/house reg/birth cert/passport and only 1 family member that she knew of.She was 25 when we met.So more or less she was non existent and at the bottom of the social ladder.

Today she is a citizen of my home country and possibly one of the wealthier women in the country(by way of me and my family).

Moral of this story - be persistent, smart and thorough about your girl's Visa.It is not straight forward but very possible if you play your cards right.Don't rush anything, be prepared for it to take time before you have all your documents and various proofs collated.You wanna be spot on the first time you apply. Hope this is of some encouragement :)

Don't know where your "home country" is, Gagglegoo, but there is a big difference between getting permission to visit to the US and most other places (the possible exception being the UK). The Western European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand...they're all a cakewalk in comparison.

From what I've heard, USA is the toughest, UK damn tough and Aussie, NZL pretty tough. Still what seem impossible odds at first can be overcome if you chip away at it persistently.

I want to Thank all of you for your Wise information regarding this matter! I just spoke with her last night, she says she has found a JOB!!!...She's happy as can BE!....I'm sure this will help us in the process, as we both understand with work there's ALWAYS hope!......Korp kuhn Kepth, Thank You again, Danny.

Archived