Bringing her to visit in U.S.

Says lopburi3:

Of course they will. As long as they don't suspect that you are trying to avoid the immigrant visa process. If you both live outside the USA it is the only visa she can get. And all living abroad should have 'just in case' in the event of emergency evacuation being required. You don't want to have to make a last second choice.

OOPS. Forgot KHM lives in BKK. I guess I should have said I hear it is difficult to get a tourist visa if wife lives in LOS and hubby lives in USA, esp if she has never had a visa before. Anyone experience that?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
difficult to get a tourist visa if wife lives in LOS and hubby lives in USA
That probably would take a bit of explaining but if reasons for her return appear valid believe it could be granted. That is why there are few hard and fast rules - everybody is different.

I have posted this before and my situation might be a bit different than yours, but here it is again.

I found it EXTREMELY easy to get a visa for my (at that time) girlfriend (who is now my wife). The regulations are as stated above, namely that she must show sufficient reason she'd want to return to Thailand. In our case, the reason was me. I am working here. We stated on the application letter (there is a form but I didn't use it) that we were planning on getting married in the US, visiting my family and then returning to Thailand where I am employed. Also showed financial evidence in the form of a joint bank account (Thailand) and my accounts (overseas) showing sufficient funds for making the trip.

She was granted a 10 year tourist visa after a 2 day wait with no interview. And she is a farm girl - no family money whatsoever. And employed as a "homemaker."

On entry to the US no immigration hassles at all - she either got 3 or 6 months stay - can't remember. The only issue was that when the immigration officer asked her why she was coming to the US (I told him to visit my family), he insisted she answer the question - presumably to show she knows some English.

It is probably significantly harder than this if you don't live here. But trying costs little (but time) and it might work. The issue is the right way to build your case.

I agree. If you are working in Thailand legally, with a work permit, at a decent job, your girlfriend will have a much better chance. Not applicable to visa-runners, English teachers, bar owners, etc. (no offense implied)

A good thought, but unfortunately impossible.

Thai nationals can apply for a US visa at an embassy in a third country only if they are there working (in an official capacity) or as a permanent resident.

Same thing applies to non-Thai's trying to get a visa at the US Embassy in Thailand. If they don't have a Thai work permit or permanent resident visa, they will be told to apply at the US Embassy in their own country.

Thai nationals can apply for a US visa at an embassy in a third country only if they are there working (in an official capacity) or as a permanent resident.

Can you provide a source for this? Somehow I find it hard to believe Dr/Gen/Hon/Sen/etc Thailand who is on vacation in Paris but who now has to travel to New York is going to be told to return to Thailand to apply for a visa.

The word I see mentioned on Embassy web sites is that it may be 'harder' to obtain outside your home country - not that you have to be a resident/worker of the country you apply from but have no direct knowledge.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but it is impossible in all but the most extraordinary circumstances.

I recently had a friend from Taiwan visiting Thailand for a few months, and he decided to try to get a US visa while he was here. He was told that the only foreigners who could get a US visa in Thailand were those here either on a work permit or in some other kind of official, formal capacity.

I also had an American friend in China ask the same thing for his Chinese girlfriend: whether she could get a US visa while on vacation in Thailand. They got the same response, and were told that under normal conditions, a foreigner must apply to the US embassy in their home countries. The policy was said to be consistent worldwide.

On the other hand, I have I have a buddy here who is married to a Filipina who is employed locally as a manager at a PR firm. She had no problem getting a US visa at the embassy in Bangkok, as she has a work permit and a good job.

If you don't believe me, call up any embassy and ask.

If you don't believe me, call up any embassy and ask.
I think we agree that it is policy to advise visa seekers to apply in their home country. But I, and believe you also, think that there are exceptions. You provided your sources and I thank you. Just wanted to get it into context. Sorry if it came out as a challenge instead of a simple request. But as I said, did not know for sure, and wondered if there was anything in writing to this effect.

Archived