Bringing her to visit in U.S.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaggle,

Says gagglegoo:

Hard but not impossible. My country require visas for thai folk too.My thai wife was a poor uneducated farm girl(worked menial restaurant jobs in BKK) with no id/house reg/birth cert/passport and only 1 family member that she knew of.She was 25 when we met.So more or less she was non existent and at the bottom of the social ladder.

Today she is a citizen of my home country ...

Danny asked about a tourist visa to the USA, not about immigration. Danny would have no problem bringing his girlfriend to the USA as his fiancee or wife to become a Permanent Resident and ultimately a citizen. Time consuming, yes, but very easily accomplished.

A tourist visa, on the other hand, is virtually impossible in the circumstances that Danny described.

Regards, JEff

I concur. For a wife, it is virtually impossible for the US to block her immigration - unless she has a serious prison record, or AIDS, or some such "outside the box" situation.

But for a normal tourist visa, the routine system will "select her out" of the pipeline - along with virtually everyone else like her. The only way she can get through is if she can present a compelling case that assures her return to Thailand. "Compelling" means just what it says. The people making the initial judgement about her application will be Thai employees of the US Embassy visa section. They are notoriously hard on anyone who is lower than them in the Thai seniority/social order. It is very unlikely that any US consular official will ever even see her application for a tourist visa. Point. Set. Match.

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

Of course they will. As long as they don't suspect that you are trying to avoid the immigrant visa process. If you both live outside the USA it is the only visa she can get. And all living abroad should have 'just in case' in the event of emergency evacuation being required. You don't want to have to make a last second choice.

My wife was recently issued a multi year, multi entry tourist visa
That's right. A tourist visa (B1/B2) is a non-immigrant visa and is available to dependents who would only be traveling as a tourist rather than planning to live in the USA (and thus require an immigrant visa).

Although there is no requirement for her to be with you to enter the USA she would have to explain her reasons for visit just like any other traveler to INS at the port of entry.

Can only say my wife's first visa was issued at Bangkok in 2000 and is valid for 10 years and nothing is listed under annotation. Perhaps there has been a change in attitude. Can also say that worldwide caution message to Americans overseas of 6 February this year has the following paragraph:

"-- Ensure that passports and visas are valid and that you are registered with the U.S. embassy/consulate. Immediate family members who are not U.S. citizens or resident aliens ("green card" holders) should keep U.S. visas current, and apply for visas as far in advance of travel as possible."

Archived