All Flights cancelled from USA to Asia Thailand ??

paulc31

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Peter1964:

Any source given? Are flights from Europe effected too?

Peter,

I know at least from two European airlines that they've already worked out alternative routes to SE Asia. Overflight rights for countries such as Kazakhstan, Kirgistan, China have been obtained. Some routings might go via China (Tibet), this all resulting in longer flight times (btw. 60-120 minutes).

I flew London to BKK soon after afghanistan kicked off, no probs, the flight took a boit longet though due to avoiding the area.

IMHO some flights will be cancelled as demand drops, but cancelling ALL flights to SEA sounds a bit far fetched. Especially as flights from the US, I would imaging would fly over the pacific, no where near the 'action'.

Heightened security etc same as last time I reckon.

Says artiew:

Does anyone think its a GOOD idea to head for an airport when the war starts ? I think I'll give it a couple of months for things to calm down after they have ousted Saddam.

Artiew,

I can understand that there is some fear of terrorist attacks once the war starts but I'm absolutely sure that the risk for aircrafts is more or less the same than what we have on any other given day without war. My motto: let's do business as usual.

In the last Gulf War all airports were closed for between a couple of weeks to 3 months for international flights. One of the major reasons given was airlines unable to get insurance.

I have heard that most airports in the Gulf Region will be closed for around 72 hours this time, mainly too keep the radar clear of civilian craft.

Direct flights from Europe shouldn't be affected, but routings maybe. However anyone with bookings on airlines such as Emirates or Gulf might have problems as the transit airports, Dubai, Bahrain etc. could be closed for a period of time.

I have a booking for 30th April and I'm hopeful everything will be done and dusted by then.

Cheers

K.

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

I have heard the samething, essentially American flights will not be allowed to take off from the west coast. You will have to go via Europe which adds a bit of time to your journey.STH

not directed at you SOTH , but this thread is getting a bit silly , everyone is hearing this and hearing that , my company , who does int'l shipping , to and from Asia , both air and ocean , has not " heard a peep ". As far as the 1991 rumble , security was heightened here , but no flight disruptions.

And I can assure you , security is now 50 times greater than in 1991 and the last thing the airlines need now are flight cancellations or re-routing ( via europe )

Again , I am referring this post to the thread title.

YMMV ( your mileage may vary :: )

BadanotgivingitasecondthoughtBing :sleeping:

Archived