All Flights cancelled from USA to Asia Thailand ??

paulc31

Says BadaBing:

[sad , but true , all Americans travelling to Asia must now reserve travel either by train or bus. Arrive departure gates 7 days prior to departure time or your seat may be given to stand-by passenger.

BadayourfriendlytraveladvisorBing

I'm hitch hikin then. Supposed to be there by April 18, so I guess I better leave by, oh say about 1976. :banghead:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do go to war with Iraq, it will most likely be over very quickly, so those of you with mid April tickets may be fine.

I haven't heard this about the airlines myself, though I have heard that US airlines that serve SE Asia have been targeted by terrorists. Seems they think it will be easier to hijack a US plane in SE Asia than elsewhere, probably because they have cells of operatives in the area and security is not as strict.

The other issue is that the US airlines are all looking to cut costs, and travel abroad by Americans will definitely slow down if we get in a war. Thus it may not be financially viable for US airlines to continue flying to Asia.

Regardless, I would think the Asian airlines would continue to serve the American market. Many of us prefer them anyway.

Says rovineye:

Quite right. The US airlines are allowing folks to trade in tickets without penalty in case of war. Me? I'm flying EVA and takin my chances.

That is what I know also. Some American carriers will allow you to refunf non-refundable tickets or waive the change fees for travel that occurs during war.

Says rovineye:

Says BadaBing:

Says rovineye:

I think BR is the one taking the chance here.... ::

BR???????????????????????????

Ban Rovineye.... ::... sorry...that's their 2letter code , bad habit I got for referring to carriers.

BadashouldhavesaidevaBing :banghead:

I think a complete suspension of service is highly unlikely although extended routes to some insecure destinations such as the Philippines may be curtailed. Air service in wartime is not predicated on passenger safety per se but by the availability of insurance coverage and the agreement of the air crews' unions.

As Iraq is the most secular state (excepting perhaps Turkey) in the Muslim world, an act of terror during conflict is unlikely to occur in support of the Hussein regime. And since no "neutral" state in or near the overflight path -- North Korea, China and Vietnam particularly -- wants to answer to a bellicose America, you may expect them to crack down on the groups likely to attempt an attack and tighten their internal security in general once the bullets are flying in Arabia.

Archived