Thai views on prostitution?

khunsanuk

Anyway, just a little info to give an insight into the Thai psyche, although I don't know what exactly it explains

---------------------------------------------

Your post is telling, and IMO, close to the thai psyche. It explains that money buys back a lot of so-called "disgrace". If you make good money, doing something in Thailand, you're fine, whatever this is you're doing. Thais are a pragmatic bunch, whatever works that sets you up, and allows you to shine on your family, friends, neighbours, etc.... Can't be that bad. I think a poor farmer making less than a hundred bahtsa a day will be looked down as low as a 500 baht a pop Karaoke girl.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massage parlors, Karaoke bars etc. are ok, go gos not.

Just a thought: Massage and Karaoke comes from a typical thai tradition. Massage is something that has a several hundred years tradition in Thailand, for instance.

Not so the gogo bars. They were born - if my information is right- when the western falangs came to LOS. I do not know if their origin is from the french peoples, i think it is more likely that the Americans brought it to LOS and SEA.

So massage is something typical thai, whereas Gogos is something foreign. And according to the proud of a Thai then Massage is superior to the foreign Gogo bars. Gogos are low graded there for.

I think its rather unlikely to understand the "face" only from the money point of view.

Think about:

Who is superiour: a girl that works as a sales lady in a mall for about 6-7000 baht a month, or a gogo girl with a monthly income of about 30,000 baht a month?

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

This prompted me to ask if selling your body for 10,000 Baht was any more respectable than doing so for 500 Baht?

Sanuk!

That reminds me of the old story, where a man drives by a young lady in his car, stops and askes her, if she would be willing to sleep with him for $ 1.000.000.

After a short hesitation she agrees.

The guy askes her than, if she would be willing to sleep with him for $ 50,--

"What do you think I am?" she askes.

"Well, we have already settled that" the guy replies "now we are haggeling about the price!"

MaW :bow:

Who is superior?

----------------------------

Not sure what superior means, especially as far as low or "not respectable" income earned by women goes. All depends on the social network they are related to. Back in the village, where it matters the most to her (a lot more than being looked down by strangers a couple times riding the skytrain, for ex.), 30 000 bahts will do nice. This money, believe me, is good money, I mean good as contrary of bad, over there. My experience is that the Bgs are not unrespected there. Again, to a thai, the family matters most, and definitely, being the top earner earns you "superior" points, the more so when she marries and moves abroad. As far as the office girl is concerned, I read enough stories about high income women not feeling they are given the respect due to their professional status (unless they are executives, MPs (and still..) or royals), that i am afraid our little 9 to 5 girl also relies on her family for adequate self-esteem and high regards. IME

[color:"red"] Just a thought: Massage and Karaoke comes from a typical thai tradition. Massage is something that has a several hundred years tradition in Thailand, for instance.

Not so the gogo bars. They were born - if my information is right- when the western falangs came to LOS. I do not know if their origin is from the french peoples, i think it is more likely that the Americans brought it to LOS and SEA.

[/color]

That can very well be.

[color:"blue"] Members of the board, what I am going to say next can offend many of you, but it is not my intent, please be reminded that I am happily married to an American. [/color]

I have been told my many Thai males that they find the BG who cater to tourist disgusting, one reason is because the sexual activities with "farangs" or any nationalities. Could not keep my mouth shut, I asked what about me? Their answer was "You are not a prostitute, we are talking about women who "f*ck" any dog for money here". ::

I find that offensive, however, what really bothers me is even well-educated ones who are married to my girl friends feel this way. The truth is I have not met any Thai male who really cares about the BGs (except perhaps when they are in lust). :banghead:

Sorry to bring such harsh opinion up! :bow:

Cheers!

Jasmine, dont worry! I am very well aware that the thai peoples have a very low opinion about sex tourists.

Not, that the thai males dont go to any prostitutes, they do it too, maybe much more than we falangs. But they do it secretly. No Thai male will ever been seen walking around with a prostitude somewhere in the streets. He would loose a lot of face.

So how can the thai peoples respect us falangs in Pattaya, walking around all day with any beer bar girls? They cannot!

How do non-B/G's view Farang?

I can only speak for one. We are viewed as sex-tourist. To be seen with one (farang) alone, would brand her as a prostitute. Having lunch with her, in a cafe', would brand her as such. Period....in her mind. I cannot stress this enough. It is a very, very, real thing.

Could be a life-long dream for her to have dinner at Sala Rim Naam. She will forgo it, if can't have another Thai present.

I've come to realize that I can breeze into town, see her, and then just leave. But she will be left to live with the repercussions of the stigmatism of being known to have any kind of relationship with vacationing farang. Very serious shit, for her.

While it may be an unusual case, I seriously doubt it. She's lived in BKK for 11 years, so is not right off the farm, so to speak. I do believe this to be a very serious issue for average Thai girl. We are not seen in a good light. We come, have much money, which we use to screw willing Thai girls, and the we go. The next plane lands at DM, and the cycle repeats itself.

She is not far off the mark, in most cases. Standing in her shoes, I would have exactly the same opinion of us, I think.

It's just not like in the west. Worst thing I could ever do to her, would be to show up at her workplace, or school, with a bouquet of flowers, professing my undying love for her. While I might think I'm doing something really nice for her, she would have to live with the scorn from that, for maybe years. Co-workers might brand her as having extra-curricular activities at night, although not true at all.

There is still some old-world thinking, and ideals, and traditions in Thailand. The exstent of which, I have no idea. I can only speak of a small slice of life there, that does exist, but which I deal with every day.

I must say, that I mis-read this from the beginning. I felt as though getting cross-signals, until I understood this reality. I've come to realize that this is why it takes so much work to get close to a Thai non-B/G. You are going to have to prove yourself, and very rightly so.

HT

Hi,

[color:"red"] I've come to realize that I can breeze into town, see her, and then just leave. But she will be left to live with the repercussions of the stigmatism of being known to have any kind of relationship with vacationing farang. Very serious shit, for her.

[/color]

Yes, this is a very serious and I am glad to hear that there are still some Thai women who feel so.

When I just was dating an American when I was in Thammasart, he visited me at the campus several times, but I avoided being seen walking with him anywhere, especially when I was in uniforms. We used to take the same bus going to my dorm but he would get on the front, I got on the back of the bus and never spoke to each other.

I did not have any hassle from professors nor my close classmates though, I think most of them did'not dare, some snide remarks existed though :devil:

One main reason is the people talk and some of us do not want to provoke tha talk which can mean reputaion for me.

Nowadays, most people around my my mother's town, know that I am just an old married woman, it is ok. Still I watch my behaviour and the way I dress and speak. :neener:

Jasmine

Edited to clarify some points. Jasmine

[color:"green"] I have been told my many Thai males that they find the BG who cater to tourist disgusting, ... [/color]

Well like a lot of other people, what Thai males say and do are two different things. I remember the time I was at the Hollywood Disco with a stunning BG friend. The Thai males were all trying to get her attention. Every time she went to the loo a Thai male would hand her his phone number! ::

Archived