Thai views on prostitution?

khunsanuk

Hi,

"Am I reading this correctly: go-go's are "lower grade", but, at the same time, more respectable?"

No, you are not. The Thais are generally under the impression that the girls in Nana, etc will fuck anybody for 500 Baht, while in the massage parlours the prices are higher (often much higher). Therefore the girls in the MPs must be better.

The one guy in the conversation even mentioned that the girls are cleaner as well since the MPs all have doctors and give the girls check-ups regularly. Yep, sure they do!

Sanuk!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, just a little info to give an insight into the Thai psyche, although I don't know what exactly it explains :)

Very interesting indeed.

You don't know what exactly it explains, KS?

Neither do I. ::

I guess one must be Thai to understand, but ... being Thai means one's in it and therefore can't see the 'outside' :)

What I'm I talking about, can anybody follow me? ::?

hmm...

Cheers!

:drunk:Zaad

Maybe there is a visibility aspect to this. My GF is far less concerned that what she or her relatives do is proper in society, but that there is no appearance of impropriety.

A man goes into a MP, and the only other public there are men there for the same thing. Those with true blinders on may even convince themselves that they are really only there for a proper massage. No public display of overt sex (nudity or diddlin). But when you get behind closed doors....

In a go-go there could be lots of folks watching what is going on. When the man leaves the bar with the girl they head out in public, to be seen together. Usually anyway.

In karaoke places, there are more legit things going on than sexual activity. In the main rooms anyway.

Hi,

"Who is more respected. An ESL teacher at ECC making 26,000B a month or a history teacher at an international school making 130,000B a month?"

Without knowing both these people it would be impossible to determine. Obviously I am not so shallow to think that respect is linked to income only.

Sanuk!

Could it be that MPs etc are patronised by Thai men with a bit of coin so that is seen as being ok. Gogos are frequented by naughty farangs and that is not so good. Just a thought. I remember standing in the Lion beer bar in soi 4 and watch a carload of respectable Thai people cruising past on a sunday afternoon with their faces glued to the window in awe similar to a trip to the Lion safari park.

I think money is only part of it. Massage parlours and Karoke bars have the pretense - albeit pretty thin in some cases - of being something other than what they really are. The same is not true of Go Go bars.

Form over substance. If you can maintain the facade, it's OK. And that is why the nudity thing in the bars is such a big deal. Think about, at the height of the new social order campaign, when BGs were practically dancing in granny outfits, you could still bar fine them and have sex. That never stopped.

Soi 10 is another example. Many of the people at my work felt sorry for those who lost their jobs, but they weren't sorry to see the Soi 10 bars go. Sukhumvit is a major street, and the sight of BGs actively soliciting Farang men passing by was too much. NEP seems to be OK because it is tucked down a Soi.

Much of this comes down to "face." A Thai friend once said that Farangs really can never understand "face," and I think he is right. I also think that "face" goes a long way in explaining the difference in attitudes about massage parlours and Go Go bars.

Hi

Prostitution is viewed in different ?? you need to go back into history thousand's of years where the Kings had many wives & court dancers, this is accepted in the culture. The court dancers, we might say are prostitution but they are held in high esteem - they serve the high or the powers-that-be and even in those days the ordinary prostitute who used serve the common man was looked down but severing the high level is accepted practice. To understand you need to study history & culture, which will give you an idea. This might sound strange like in the west we call a-spade-spade but here it cultural coming over 100's years.

I sometime take the girls from high end krokoke bars(Japanese) & soi33 bars and even though they are in same business, when it come to bottom-line, they look down upon the gogo girls in Nana as they say, do they have to dance naked ! many of these girls have no idea about the gogo bars. They have only heard about these but many of them have never stepped into these places. Look at there idea of thinking??. Here I find it the monetary difference nothing else.

The only difference I see these girls, pull in more money doing the deed - going back into history - the court-dancers & the commoners !

cheers

vinod

Anyway, just a little info to give an insight into the Thai psyche, although I don't know what exactly it explains

I think it basically shows that the thais are a lot more pragmatic about prostitution than we are in the west.

What amazes me though is that it is OK to make money from pimping girls in a massage parlor, but it is definitely not cool to be a prostitute. I guess it basically comes down to the money you make. Make a little bit, not OK. Make a lot, and you're a hero. :dunno:

Cheers!

Archived