Patpong - A Positive Review For A Change

Sarisin

Says KhMarried:

You comments about Thigh Bar are interesting. Back before it changed hands and was rennovated (about 2 years ago), it was a actually a place with some distinctive charm to it along the lines of Safari -- i.e., just a "good ole' fashioned go-go bar" in what I imagine to be the classic tradition before things like night markets and internet-based bar rating discussions. These days, walking in there is like walking into a King's Group reunion, as much of the management and non-dancing staff is circa 2000 cast-offs from KCI, King's Corner, etc. A bit of a bland reunion tour!

I was a regular at Thigh Bar (then called Sawasdee) from '95 - until about last year. I really didn't notice the change you describe. I have not been there since Christmas of last year.

I think they have the best looking ladies in the 'pong, but the ripoff and nuisance factor in that bar is just too much and I doubt if I will be back anytime soon.

One of their worst scams was the introduction of 160 baht white wine ladies drinks and then saying you needed to buy a minimum of 4 before you could have the privilege of paying a barfine. Also, plenty of bill padding in this bar which caused me to pay for my drinks when they arrived instead of keeping a cup for the bills. :(

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found patpong is best to go solo and not get wasted there due to potential rip-offs.

I can usually find a nice girl to go with for 2,000B LT. The big three places in a row are much harder to get a LT girl for 2,000B but can do if you visit her a couple of times where you can project the image that you live here which i do and you might be a repeat customer of hers if she performs/is fun.

Cardinalblue

Hi Sarasin,

I suppose my personal definition of atmosphere relates to a number of things but mostly due to the attitude of the girls and fellow punters and where I feel most comfortable.

To me nana plaza is a sort of transiant location which is full of people passing through but few people who making it a home base ( present company excepted of course :D )

Cowboy and Patpong in my opinion you find more people who are regulars who over a period of time you get to know. Goldfingers is a great example of this, as are most the bars on Patpong 2.

Cowboy has for a long time now been known as being favoured more by the locals than other areas.

I personally like to go with my mates to have a good time and to be honest over the past year or so, the neccessity to take a girl evry night has diminished. So a fun place is important to me.

Besides punters, I think the girls are more likely to hang around longer in Patpong and Cowboy than they are in Nana - no proof of this of course just my opinion!.

There are of course exceptions to this rule in Nana - great bars like Playskool and Angelwitch and some of the smaller bars, but the area as a whole just doesn't feel as comfortable to me as Patpong and Cowboy.

I think another contribution to the atmosphere in my opinion is that nana is more like the McDonalds of gogo areas in that the place is dominated by one chain of bars which by its very nature tends to offer a very formulated style of gogo. In the other 2 areas I reckon you can find more individual type bars. I know Patpong has Kings Group that you could accuse of similar, but there is far more choice both in numbers and variety of types of bars there to compensate.

Favourite areas are always a personal thing - I have never understood Washington Square but I have a couple of friends who swear by the place. ::

I still go to Nana but not nearly as often as I do to the other areas.

I don't know if I've explained it well enough and I know not everyone will agree with me....but that's what makes the place so good is that there are plenty of choices for everybody!!

Cheers

farangman

Says Sarisin:

One of their worst scams was the introduction of 160 baht white wine ladies drinks and then saying you needed to buy a minimum of 4 before you could have the privilege of paying a barfine. Also, plenty of bill padding in this bar which caused me to pay for my drinks when they arrived instead of keeping a cup for the bills.
:(

Wow. I didnt realise they did that with the BF, I have to admit though that I havent yet tried to BF anyone there. I always have gone in just to enjoy the eye candy after going somewhere else or before going to somewhere else. I have not had any problems with the girls just having coke though.

I too was a regular at Sawasdee, it always had plenty of energy and good looking dancers and I still always pop into it (Thigh Bar) when I am in the 'Pong, which isn't too often these days.

I don't get hassled there as I've known one of the dek serve, the little fat dyke, from her previous bar Superstar where I used to BF her sister so when I go in I just get her a drink and she keeps any others away unless I like the look of one and she calls her over.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, my friend.

It is amazing that many of the reasons you mentioned about liking Patpong are the same for my liking NEP.

I think we both agree then, that Soi Cowboy is in the middle there somewhere, but it does seem to have the most local customers of the three.

I have over a hundred friends who work in NEP. They consist of owners, dancers, waitresses, DJs, even restroom attendants. :) I used to have a similar amount in the 'pong, but lately, that has really dropped. For me, the attitudes of the girls and the guys I meet in NEP just cannot be beat. I could give you dozens of examples of shitty attitudes in the 'pong. For example, please see my last posting on a bad experience in QC2. For me, that has become the rule rather than the exception.

I really do think both areas have their share of bars with a regular core of customers. Goldfinger is a good example in the 'pong, as is, I suppose, Rififi. In NEP, you have Angelwitch, Titty Twister, DC-10, and Rainbow to name a few. I don't know much about the beer bars in the 'pong, but I think the places like Big Dawg's, Cathouse, Pharaoh's, and others in NEP do have a group of regulars that patronize the bars. Of course, in the 'pong you do have those indoor places like Cosmos, Executive Lounge, Crown Royale, and Patpong Cafe, that I do like.

I disagree with your point on the gals hanging around PP bars longer than NEP. I think by nature it is a transient business for the employees and you would be hard-pressed to find many long-time employees in either place. Yes, I know there are exceptions such as mamasans, etc.

I do not like the Crown Group bars. I will give you that. But, I dislike the King's Group which is dominant in the 'pong even more. I have never been ripped off in a Crown Group bar. In King's Group bars it is SOP. And, this is not just me talking. I think the girls are pushier for drinks and barfines. Yes, it helps if you are known in a particular bar no matter where you go. The upstairs bars in the 'pong are legendary for ripoffs and serious problems. There is nothing in NEP to compare to those. Imagine yourself a newbie and stumbling into Fire Cat or Casanova in PP and having to fork out major ripoff money for 'entertainment' charges.

Lastly, included in atmosphere, I think you have to look at the overall mess in Patpong. The vendor stalls are serious obstacles to moving anywhere. Clueless tourists will tramp over you. The obnoxious touts in PP are just in another league compared to NEP. The taxi situation on Surawongse and Silom is a pain in the ass. This is all part of the atmosphere as I see it - negative atmosphere that you just don't have to deal with in NEP. Why, they even moved the motorcycles away from the entrance. ;)

Yes, farangman, it is all subjective, and I can certainly see where you are coming from. I used to only go to the 'pong. But, IMO, over the years, the 'pong declined sharply and NEP stayed about the same - maybe a little drop due to the early closings.

I think these discussions are good though for the newbies who are trying to decide which venue to visit. My answer? Visit both and then YOU decide. :applause:

sarisin,

probably the question will disqualify me for ever, but which pong-bars are crown group?

Haven't been there for decades as the touts piss me off in a way that makes it impossible to just innocently walk there. What is the business concept behind this tout pest , who would be so stupid to respond positively to such an agressive way of promoting a bar or whatever ?

Bbill

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Thigh Bar and did not encounter the things you mentioned. Drinks were 90 baht for a Heinkein and the bar fine was 400 baht versus 500 baht at Nana. Lady drinks are up to the customer. I did not buy a ladydrink but took out the dancer anyway. As for the Safari bar, none of the dancers were very attractive...

Hi BB

Crown Group bars are situated in nana plaza - Kings Group bars are in Patpong.

Crown Group has a total of about 15 bars (beer bars and Gogos). The Gogos are, Cascade, Carnival, G Spot, Fantasia, Vodoo, Lollipop, and Obsession .

Kings Group Bars include Kings Castle 1, Kings Castle II, Kings Castle III, Camelot, Kings Corner, Queens Castle I and II, amongst others.

Cheers

Farangman

Archived