Maxtor HDs

Coss

Yeah, tend to agree with you there, Maxtors and Western Digital ... not renowned for their quality.

I find Seagate to be pretty reliable. Quantum are not bad.

IBM would be top of the pile but then they're top of the cost pile also!

Hi,

I've to save a little reputation for MAxtor. I had an older model of their drives, a 20GB which now runs smoothly in my sisters PC. No Problems with the drive ever.

Some month ago I bought two 120 GB drives from Maxtor and use them purely as storage with an onboard Raid controller. Raid controller set to purely ATA, no Raid function enabled. Made several partitions and the primary partition of one drive I use for backups, done with backupgenie. Now every time I want to access that partition in the windows explorer the system takes some 5 minutes until the content of the partition is displayed, and during that time I could not do much else as the computer was using 100% CPU. I thougt I have a bad drive and already copied all data to other drives in order to take it out and send it back. Then the same problem happened on the other drive where my backup files where copied to. After some checking I disabled my antivirus software and the problem was gone. Turned out the antivirus was set to check zip-archieves and just took to long to check these 15 GB of zips.

Not always the drive is at fault.

Archived